To Topple an Empire - Part Two

Back inside the castle, Excellus looked onward with shock and horror. "The Conqueror had been conquered? I don't believe my eyes.. unless.." He had begun to leave, only to be stopped by the recently healed Walhart. "Where do you think you're going, tactician?" He asked, his tone remaining as stern and serious as always.

The tactician gulped slightly, "I was going to check on you and see if you're okay, master." He replied, hoping that his master would accept that.

"Rally the remaining troops in the capital, this is our last stand." Walhart ordered, crossing his arms.

Excellus nodded at him, "As you wish, sire.. though, have you considered waiting a bit? We have help on the way.." He suggested, but was quickly shut down.

"I'd recommend you take your head out of whatever it's lodged in and peer out into the sunlight, snake. If you had half the intellect of the Ylissean tactician, you'd be aware of our current situation." Walhart remarked.

The tactician's eyes widened as he noticed what had been going on. "The dynasts are making their way here.. they must've found out about Yen'fay.." He paused, looking a bit baffled at the turn of events. "Is it possible they feared Yen'fay instead of me? No.. no, that---" He was interrupted by his master.

"Why should they fear you, even now? Without Yen'fay, your threat was nothing more than that of a tiny spider." Walhart said, shaking his head.

Excellus' confused appearance quickly transitioned into an angry expression. "Tiny spider? Well, this spider's woven numerous secrets you never would've imagined possible." He retorted.

A soft laugh escaped the Conqueror, "Which secrets are you referring to? Your blackmailing of Yen'fay? Your designs on the Fire Emblem? Your allegiance with that Plegian woman... Aversa, was it? Your allegiance with the Grimleal? Your lust for the Plegian throne? Or is it something else?" He asked mockingly.

In response to this, Excellus stared at his master in surprise. "You.. you knew about all that? How.. how? Why haven't you killed me for it?" He asked, nervous and curious now.

"I am unsure.. though, you are no threat to me.. and you have some use." Walhart started, smirking. "I'm not one for clowns or jesters, but you do amuse me."

Once again, the tactician flashed with anger. "I amuse you? Are you laughing now that innumerable soldiers are coming for your life? You've lost! The insurmountable Conqueror will be conquered! Me? I will have no part of this, this spider crawls out of this battle alive." He retorted, his teeth clenched in anger.

"Do my ears deceive me or did you just pledge yourself to lead my guard against the rebels?" Walhart raised his axe.

"What? I.. I didn't--" Excellus would be interrupted by an angry Walhart. "Of course, that's unless you're willing to fight me here and now." He had pointed the axe at his tactician. Seeing the axe just inches away from him, Excellus gulped. "Innumerable pardons, master.. it was only a momentary insanity from the stressful state we're in. It will not return, I assure you." He said quickly. This was a satisfying answer for Walhart as he pulled his axe away. With the matter settled, he would go off to prepare for the coming battle. Cervantes scoffed, "My superior.. he was right. You are an amusing little jester." He said mockingly, joining Walhart in his preparations.

Excellus returned to his old, angry self. "Those.. those imbeciles. They forget who I am. Let's just hope the rebels do their jobs and perhaps I might.. entertain them a bit." He grinned, grabbing his Bolganone tome. "One way or another, I will live to see tomorrow."

The allied forces would soon arrive, eager to continue their fight. "Seems like Walhart's not too eager to escape.." Chrom said, staring at him on his throne. "Ja'vassa.. I'll leave you in charge of taking him on. I have a feeling you'll be successful this time." The Khajiit nodded in response, having since recharged his blade. Instead of using a Fireball spell, he would wield Dragonbane along with Harkon's sword. Once the battle had begun, the Shepherds made quick work of the opposing army. With Say'ri once again meeting Cervantes in battle while Ja'vassa found himself confronted with Excellus.

The swordmaster's battle would go about the same as the last, though she found herself having considerable more luck this time. Ja'vassa hadn't hesitated to approach Excellus, a grin spreading across his face. "Ah, I was looking forward to when I could finally cut you down." He said, pointing Dragonbane towards him.

"You think you can so much as scratch me, idiot?" Excellus retorted, using the Bolganone spell. Unfortunately, he was a little too late. To avoid the spell, Ja'vassa used the Whirlwind Sprint to avoid it. "Wuld... Nah Kest!" He shouted, rushing towards the opposing mage with incredible speed, his blades pointed directly for his opponent's vitals. He sunk his swords deep into the tactician, smirking. "Like I told you back at the Demon's Ingle.. you and I are nothing alike, I am leagues ahead of you." Ja'vassa reminded him, slowly removing his swords from his dying enemy. Sheathing one of his weapons, he would cast a Soul Trap spell on Excellus. "Oh, don't worry. I'll visit you next time I'm in the Soul Cairn."

Slowly, the life faded out of Excellus' eyes as he had fallen. "But.. I-I don't understand.." Was all he could mutter before he'd pass away. Ja'vassa scoffed, wiping the blood off his swords. "How pathetic.. I don't understand how this army was so successful with this idiot." He muttered to himself, his focus back on Walhart. After making his way to the Conqueror, Ja'vassa glared at him. "You and I have a match to finish, friend. Only one of us will be leaving here alive, why don't we see who the tides of fate favor, hmm?" He asked.

"You're a most commendable adversary.. I've never seen anyone who could match me in combat, much less defeat me." Walhart praised the Khajiit, a true smile on his face. "However, this time will be different." Now that they had once again finished speaking, they'd get ready to face off.

Ja'vassa would use the Dragon Aspect shout to enhance his abilities. "Mul... Qah Diiv!" He shouted, being surrounded in an ethereal set of armor. His strength now matched the Conqueror's, and along with his incredible speed, this battle wouldn't be as close as the previous. In an effort to knock him off the horse, he had used the Unrelenting Force shout as well. "Fus... Ro Dah!" And with that, a powerful blast of energy was fired off, being more than enough to get his enemy on the ground.

Ja'vassa's swords clashed against Walhart's axe. "I am inexorable!" The Conqueror proclaimed, slowly pushing the Khajiit back. "You are strong, but compared to the likes of Miraak or Lord Harkon, you're nothing." Ja'vassa retorted as he found an opening. "It's time you joined them in the after life!" After dropping Dragonbane, he had quickly employed the use of an Incinerate spell, causing Walhart to stagger back before he'd be struck with a stab from Harkon's sword, the blade being plunged deep into his chest. Blood splattered the mask Ja'vassa wore, the once pristine floors now stained in the fresh crimson liquid.

As Walhart fell back, Ja'vassa had sheathed his swords. "And now, that makes two Emperors I've killed.. at least this one put up a fight." He sighed softly, turning to the others. It appeared after the fall of the Conqueror, the remaining Valmese soldiers had quickly surrendered with Chrom ordering his forces to cease their fighting. It would seem now, the war in Valm has finally come to a close and now, all that was left was the prevention of Lucina's dark future.