An Inspiring Sorrow

The Ylisseans ran and ran for what seemed like to be an eternity, they would get sidetracked by an unfortunately familiar foe. Even with what happened to Lady Emmeryn, it was clear that the Mad King wasn't about to give up the Fire Emblem, especially seeing that the group would most likely be demoralized after such a brutal loss. For the most part, Gangrel would be right. Chrom, Lissa, Robin, even Ja'vassa were still trying to process what had just transpired. Though, as a result of the incoming Plegian soldiers, they had little time to process it. "Dammit... we have carriages waiting for us.. but, it seems we'll have to deal with this bastards first.." Basilio snarled, grabbing his silver axe. The others readied themselves for battle; this one hit especially close to Ja'vassa. He knew all too well of the pain of losing someone dear to him; his own sister was robbed of him many years before he even discovered he was Dragonborn, so he wanted to do what he could to aid Chrom and Lissa in this.

"Hold, Ylisseans! I come not to fight you, but to offer mercy! Lay down your weapons and I vow to protect you the best I can!" The Plegian general offered, his tone sounding sincere, though like one would expect, the Shepherds chose otherwise. "How can we believe you after what that barbarian you call a king did?" Frederick retorted, pointing his lance towards his enemy. "Your anger is justified, Ylisseans, but remember that Lady Emmeryn wouldn't want this to come to bloodshed!" Mustafa reminded them, though his intentions were good, the very mention of the Exalt's name caused the prince's blood to boil. "Shut up! After all that your damn king has done, you have no right to utter her name!" Chrom cried out, his voice seething with anger. "I think I'll take my chance with a sword in hand!" Amidst the anguish he felt, there was a new determination in him, one built from a mix of sorrow, justice, and vengeance.

The cry from Chrom triggered an outcry of support from his troops, many of them shouting out similar retorts to the Plegian general. Now that Mustafa realized he would not be able to persuade them one way or another, he knew that it would come down to bloodshed. "Very well! I'll see to it that I give you a quick and honorable end. If you wish to leave here with your lives, then you must win them!" He bellowed, slamming the head of his axe to the ground, signaling the start of the battle. Though the battle at the Plegia castle courtyard was merely hours ago, the Shepherds were ready and raring for more, eager to get back at the ones that have caused nothing but pain and destruction, inside and outside of their borders. With Chrom and Robin leading the charge, Plegians and the scurrying thieves were cut down without a second thought. Blood splattered on the ground, mixing in with the muddied grounds; sword against sword, spell against spell, it was a ferocious battle, one with much anger on both sides.

Though the battle with the Plegian was brief and bloody, it felt as it went on for an eternity. Fortunately, thanks to the morale and the strength of Chrom's army, they had proven themselves to be the superior unit and with the fall of the opposing general, they were finally able to make it to the carriages that Khan Basilio promised. "Soldiers, meet Olivia.. she'll be getting us out of this hellhole." He said, grinning as he approached the timid dancer. "Khan Basilio! I'm so relieved to see you and the others... but, I'm afraid we won't be alone for long if we don't leave now. Countless Plegians are no doubt in pursuit." Olivia suggested, motioning for the carriages. Seeing as the girl was no doubt correct about that, the Ylisseans and Feroxis climbed aboard, soon heading off for Castle Ferox.

At the Castle, there were no celebrations or parties among the soldiers, an air of sorrow and failure surrounded them. "All the bloodshed.. all the sleepless nights.. all for nothing." Robin spoke in a soft tone, holding back a few sobs. In the background, Lissa could be heard holding her own sobs back, clearly devastated at the loss of someone so dear to her. Chrom looked towards his sister, then to his tactician. "Don't be so hard on yourself, Robin.. your plan was flawless as usual, I was the one that failed.. I was.. I was just so powerless.." The prince said, his lips quivering slightly. With some slight hesitation, Robin spoke up again. "So was I.. alone and powerless, just many of the soldiers gathered here. You were the one that brought us together, you were the one that led the charge.. don't give up Emmeryn's ideals." He pleaded, though this only brought more worries from Chrom.

"What if I can't? What if I'm not worthy to lead? What if I drag you and the others down with me?" Chrom asked, though this seemed to receive a bit of an annoyed response from the Khajiit. "Dammit, Chrom.. I'm tired of this. I know what just happened is hard on you, but there isn't time to mourn, not yet at least." Ja'vassa started, his tone sounding a little more serious. Nowi grabbed his arm in an attempt to stop him, though this was fruitless as the Khajiit just yanked it away. "I've been where you are.. I lost my sister years ago, it hurt.. but, it made me who I am. She didn't want me wallowing in self pity and I know your sister wouldn't want the same from you. There will be plenty of time for mourning after the battle is over, but for as long as the Mad King is out there, this war will never end. If our leader starts faltering from his path, so will the rest of the army.. and I assure you, that'll turn out poorly for your kingdom." He paused, sighing softly. "Like the tactician said, look at the people you've brought with you. Slaves, farmers, mercenaries, even Plegian soldiers. You brought us under one goal, that says a lot about you. Emmeryn sacrificed herself because she believes in you, just as the rest of us do. You are worthy, Chrom. Don't let this stop you, if you do, then you might as well return to your castle. Don't let her faith or our faith be for naught. We put our trust in you, don't make us look stupid for doing so"

Though the Dragonborn's words were harsh, it seemed to be enough to work on the prince. Chrom was silent, he looked to see the various people among the Shepherds. Ja'vassa was right.. people of every background were there, all in support of the Ylissean cause. "You're.. you're right.. I'm sorry. We've got some work to do. Peace will not return to the realm until the Mad King has been defeated." He had a rather determined look as he spoke, realizing what has to be done. The Khajiit wore a proud grin, the other soldiers seemed determined. Sumia, the secret love interest of Chrom, had approached the prince. "Emmeryn would be proud of you, Captain. You've become strong.. and an amazing leader." She said, smiling brightly. "Now, let's get some rest and get ready for tomorrow." Agreeing to the suggestion, the warriors had made their way towards their beds, though rather than going straight to bed, Nowi had pulled Ja'vassa to the side, seemingly wanting to talk with him.

"Is everything alright, little one?" Ja'vassa asked, looking a bit confused. He was always happy to speak with the manakete, but this was unexpected. The girl nodded, "I just wanted to get to know you a little bit. Back there, you mentioned you lost your sister. Can I ask you about that? Or maybe we can just talk." She asked, watching as the Khajiit sat down nearby. Without much hesitation, she had taken a seat on his lap, leaning back to steal some of his warmth. Ja'vassa was quiet, trying to figure out what he wanted to say. "My sister was killed almost 20 years ago..." He started, Nowi's gentle smile softening slightly. "I'm sorry, Java.. I hadn't intended to bring up bad memories.." She whimpered slightly.

He waved it off. "There's no point in moping over things you can't change. Her death.. her death was painful, but.. if it weren't for that, I doubt you and I would be talking now. It wasn't long after her death that I discovered I was Dragonborn, that I really began exploring Skyrim and other parts of Tamriel." He paused, looking down towards the girl. "You know, you kind of remind me of my sister.. at least in terms of your personality. You're just as energetic and as affectionate as she was.. and funnily enough, Java was what she used to call me." After he finished speaking, he had gently wrapped his arms around the manakete, keeping the gentle smile on his face. Nowi couldn't help but smile, nodding. "It's sad that she's gone, but I'm glad you're here with us. I'll be here if you ever need to talk.." She yawned slightly, soon finding herself asleep in the comfort of the Dragonborn's arms, that soft smile never leaving her face. Ja'vassa soon fell asleep with her, feeling at peace for the first time since he was in Elsweyr with his beloved Armani.