The Enigmatic Princess

"Milord!" Frederick called out, running up to the returning prince and tactician. "I have dire news. Risen have surrounded the camp.. it's as if someone's commanding them. They approached stealthily, unlike anything we've witnessed so far." His tone was as serious as always, but this time with laced with a panicked sound. Chrom and Robin nodded, but were obviously unnerved by this as well. "Validar... no doubt he intends to take Robin hostage." Chrom said, drawing his blade. "Frederick, gather our troops and make sure they're equipped and ready for a fight." He ordered, soon returning to the campsite. Just moments after arriving, they had been met with yet another surprise. Out of nowhere, a flock of crows had appeared, hiding a strange boy. "What? Where did these birds come from?" Chrom asked, slightly annoyed by yet another distraction. Surprisingly jovial laughs could be heard from within the cloud of birds. "What's wrong? There's no need to CAWS such a ruckus, friends." A boy said, giggling again. "Oh, how I slay myself!"

"That's if the Risen don't do it first. This is no time for jokes, boy. Get out of here!" Chrom suggested, still annoyed by this. "Wait! I wanna join your CAWS... I mean, I wanna help! I know magic and I've got a thing for killing things." The mage assured him, with the crows leaving his vicinity. "A Plegian dark mage? Why would you help us?" The prince asked, understandably a little suspicious considering the king had likely sent a horde of the undead. Henry shrugged at him, that smile never leaving his face. "Dunno.. let's just say I'm hoping to change things up a little bit. Like I said before, I've got a thing for murder and stuff.. seems to be a thing among comedians." Now that his allegiance had been sealed, the battle would begin. Robin studied the various Risen, figuring out his battle tactics.

"Chrom! Go with Sumia, make your way up the bridge! I believe their commander is up there!" Robin suggested, having since readied his steel sword. Chrom nodded, climbing onto Sumia's mount. "The rest of us will make sure none of the grunts reach you. If you kill the commander, I'm sure the rest will go with it." And with that, the husband and wife duo would quickly make their way to the bridge, fighting whatever came their way. Down on the ground, Robin had since split the army into three factions; he led one group, Ja'vassa led another, while Frederick led the last. With Robin and Frederick taking the eastern and western sides respectively, Ja'vassa remained in the center. Unfortunately, he didn't have much of a chance to summon Durnehviir like he had hoped, instead he had to rely on a pair of Flame Thralls to aid his group. The battle went by rather quickly; Chrom and Sumia had quickly dispatched the commander, and as Robin predicted, the lesser Risen had died along with their leader.

With the battle over with, Chrom and Robin had decided to do a bit of talking before they'd get back on the road again. Their discussion would be cut short by the sudden appearance of another Risen, one who was quick to rush at Chrom. Given the suddenness of the assassin's appearance, they had little time to react. Though, just as unexpectedly as the assassin appeared, Chrom's savior would also appear. "Father!" A woman's voice said, jumping in front of Chrom to parry what would've been a killing blow. With the attack foiled, the Risen had quickly disappeared, though things hadn't quite yet returned to normal. "Um.. Marth? You mind explaining to me why you, uh... called me father?" Chrom asked, raising his eyebrow. Marth gulped slightly, biting her lip. "I suppose I owe you an explanation, don't I?" She asked, "Though, I'll need to speak with you privately.

After a few moments, Robin had led the other Shepherds back to the camp while Chrom and Marth made their way to the nearby forest. "I'm assuming now your name really isn't Marth, but I'm not sure what else to call you. You've done so much for Ylisse.. you've saved my life, and saved plenty of others. I won't pry, but know I'm in your debt." The prince said, smiling towards her. Marth returned the smile, though her face quickly became far more serious. "I.. I don't even know where to start.. but, I want you to know the truth. Look into my eyes, Chrom and it'll start to make some sense, or at least I hope it will." She suggested. Chrom did as suggested, staring into her eyes. At first, he was a little confused, but once he noticed it, his eyes widened in shock. "That's... that's the Brand of the Exalt.." Though clearly still confused about the whole thing, it had become clear to him. "Lucina... I'm sorry, you deserved better from me than one sword and a world of troubles." He spoke in a soft, gentle tone as he reached out to wipe the tears spilling down Lucina's cheeks.

Unable to help it, the girl rushed into Chrom's arms, sobbing softly. "Oh, father.." She whimpered, though Chrom remained quiet as he gently held her, just hoping she'd let it out. Moments would go by and finally, her tears would dry up just in time as Robin had come by in the hopes of letting them know the army was ready to mobilize. "I can't say I expected to find you two in each other's arms.. this is how rumors are born." The tactician said blankly, unaware of what had just happened. In the background, Sumia had been plucking petals off a number of flowers in a frantic manner. "He loves me... he loves me not.. he loves me..." She muttered, looking to be on the verge of tears.

"Sumia? Is everything alright?" Chrom asked, watching as his wife plucked the many flowers. She stared at him, forcing the tears back. "Oh, it's nothing.. I just find my loving husband with some beautiful woman in his arms, sobbing.." Sumia grumbled, having since stopped destroying the plants. Lucina and Chrom shared a glance, laughing softly. "I think I'll let you do the honors, Lucina." He suggested.

Sumia's slightly upset look turned into a confused manner. "Lucina..? That's our daughter's name?" She questioned, tilting her head. The blue haired woman had approached, "Look into my eyes, Sumia." Lucina said, though this didn't help her mother's confusion in the slightest, if anything, it only made it worse. "You have it? But.. it's.. the same as our child?" The pegasus rider paused, "What happened to our child? Is she alright?" She asked frantically, trying his best not to panic completely.

"Peace, Sumia. Our child is perfectly fine, right where we left her. This Lucina came from the future." Chrom explained; though the explanation seemed sufficient enough, both Sumia and Robin were understandably confused by this whole thing. "If you don't mind, I'll try to explain what I'm doing here." Lucina said, taking a seat nearby. She was silent briefly as she searched for the words she wanted, and once she found them, the story began.

Ylisstol is burning, civilians and soldiers alike cut down mercilessly by hordes of Risen. Inside the palace was no better, guards and soldiers did their best to fight back against their undead enemies, but there was no telling how long the battle would end. Sword clashed with sword, blood decorated the palace floor like a new coat of paint. A gruesome sight for anyone to behold. It seemed hopeless, as one soldier had been pinned to a wall, seemingly being inspected by one of their enemies. Fortunately for her, Lucina had shown up just in time to stop the monster from killing the soldier. "We can't let these things win!" She shouted, raising her blade. "Pick up a weapon and fight... fight until the bitter end!" With those final words, she'd continue her endless battle, slaughtering as many of the Risen as she could.

With the brief story ending, she sighed and looked towards her audience, each had varying degrees of horror etched onto their faces, unable to believe what had happened to her. "So.. you're saying you came to prevent that?" Robin asked, just wanting to ensure that he heard right. Lucina nodded towards him, standing back up. "Yes.. and now that it's no longer a secret, I want to join the Shepherds. I'm not sure how long I'll be here, but I just want to spend time with father and maybe save the world as well." She looked to her father for approval who had nodded in response. "After seeing your skills, we'd be stupid to decline. You're in.. let's make our way for Port Ferox and prepare to leave for Valm." Chrom suggested, heading back for the camp with the other three close behind him.