The Mad King

With the unfortunate death of the Exalt behind them, the allied Ylissean and Feroxi forces began preparations for one last stand against the barbarous people of Plegia. Arming themselves to teeth; every remaining soldier had near flawless equipment, the best available potions, the sturdiest armor, and whatever else was needed to ensure this would be a success. Once everything was ready, Chrom would take a few steps in front of the army, raising his sword in a hopeful, triumphant manner. "This is it, soldiers! Ylisseans, Feroxis, Plegians, outsiders, and anyone else who's with us today, this is our final battle! There will be time for recovery afterwards, but for now, we've got a job to do. When you return home to your families and friends, you will be heroes of the realm. If you're ready, follow me!" He ordered, sheathing his legendary blade before heading off for the Plegian Castle with his army following close behind.

After several hours of marching, the army had arrived at a pasture just a short distance from the castle, being met with a rather gleeful looking Gangrel. "Ah, so you've returned, Prince. I don't expect you're here to hand over the Emblem, are you? That's fine, of course, I'd be happy to take it off your corpse." He greeted, a dastardly grin arriving on his face. Pointing his blade towards the Mad King, Chrom wore a determined glare on his face. "We're here to kill you and restore the peace to the realm!" His tone sounded just as determined as he looked, though rather than receiving any gasps or applause from his enemy, the king just cackled at him. "Peace? You're gonna restore peace? Thanks for the laugh.. I enjoy a good joke before I start bloodying my sword.. you don't know the first thing about peace, no man does! When someone gives you blood, you answer with more blood! Even if you do kill me, I will not be the last to shed more of your people's blood. There will be more! It's an endless cycle!" As he said this, cackles would occasionally escape his lips. "But, I suppose that line of yours will make for a fitting epitaph for your grave."

Suddenly, the sadistically jovial tone had been replaced with something more serious. "But, that's enough talk.. if you wish to leave here with your lives, you must win them. Loyal Plegians! Stand up and kill these dastardly Ylisseans, don't leave so much as a trace of their existence behind!" He ordered, waving the Levin Sword in front of him as his soldiers began to march towards their enemy. In response to that, Chrom waved Falchion in front of him, prompting his soldiers to march towards the opponent. Chrom led one half of the army while Robin led another, each aiming to separate the group in order to keep Gangrel vulnerable, or at least as vulnerable as they could make him. Within mere moments of the battle starting, the once beautiful, green field had been stained with the crimson colored blood. Corpses from both sides piled up, the sounds of weapons clashing against each other created a deadly harmony with the screams of those cut down.

Thus far, the battle has been short and bloody, just the way the Plegian King liked it. Seeing that there was little progress being made, Chrom shouted towards the Khajiit, "Hey! You remember those... words you used back in the desert? I'd imagine those might come in handy here!" He suggested as he fended off an incoming barbarian. Ja'vassa nodded and would use the shout in question, "Mid... vur shaan!" He shouted, surrounding his allies in the same energy as before. This quickly turned the tides in the favor of the Shepherds; their attack speed was increased exponentially and thanks to this, they began to push back the Plegian army. The gleeful, triumphant smile on Gangrel's face slowly fell, being replaced with an angry, almost nervous expression. "That.. that damn wizard.." He grunted, "Soldiers! Go for the masked wizard!" He ordered, though unfortunately for them, it wouldn't be enough to stop Ja'vassa; the sunlight was largely ineffective against him thanks to the cloudy skies, giving him full access to his extensive magicka pool, nor would he be held back by his weakened stamina.

Not only did he have the advantage with his numerous spells, but considering that Nowi had been backing him up, along with the various other soldiers that made up the group, the Plegians could do little to stop their advance. Even with Battle Fury wearing off, the opposing army was reduced to a mere fraction of what it was. With the path opened to Gangrel, Ja'vassa looked towards the prince and tactician. "You two! Go for their leader! The rest of us will hold his soldiers off until you can finish the job!" He suggested, firing off an Icy Spear towards an incoming wyvern rider. "This might be our only chance, so don't waste it!" The recipients of that suggestion looked towards each other before nodding, "Right! You better not get yourself killed back there!" Robin shouted back at him, rushing at Gangrel alongside the Prince. Rather than just cutting the Mad King down like intended, he was able to ward off their incoming attacks. His anger, his desperation, and even his fear played into this final showdown; in this state, his attacks were wildly unpredictable, even to himself. "Little Princeling! Will you be able to face your people without the one they loved most?" He asked, trying to get at Chrom in the hopes of getting the upper hand.

This wouldn't work; the death of Emmeryn and the uncertainty of whether or not he'd truly be able to carry on her will was weighing heavily on his mind, but a certain someone had snapped him out of that funk. "I'll figure that out when I get there! For now, I'm more focused on cutting you down!" Chrom retorted, pushing Gangrel back. "You've started an unnecessary war, slaughtering those who had nothing to do with it, and today, I'm ending it." After speaking, he would plunge his blade deep into the Mad King's chest, causing him to cough up a bit of blood. "Heh.. well done, Prince.. but, you've accomplished nothing but continuing this chain of violence.." The king's eyes fluttered, "You are alone.. your people.. will chew you up and throw you out. You will die alone, as every man will." A few more pained coughs escaped him before he finally succumbed to his injury, a pained, yet gleeful grin remaining on his face.

Now that Gangrel has fallen, it seemed many of the Plegian soldiers had begun surrendering, not wanting to keep up this pointless battle any longer. Seeing this, Chrom had wiped off his weapon before sheathing. "Shepherds, allies! Hold your weapons! The war is over!" He shouted, receiving a mixture of surprised and joyful looks from both sides of the army. "Friends, enemies.. return home and spread the good news. Shepherds, we're making our way for Ylisstol to begin the process of mending the scars of war." This seemed to be a pleasing answer as the armies would split up, the Ylisseans returning from whence they came. As if on cue, the hiding sun would slowly emerge from behind the depressing clouds, lighting up the blood stained battlefield. All that was left was for Chrom to prepare for his new as the Exalt of Ylisse, though he wasn't sure if he was ready. The battle might've been over, but it seemed their work had only just begun.