To Topple an Empire - Part One

Though the morale among the group was at an all time low, none of the allied forces were quite ready to give up. They wanted nothing more than to uphold the sacrifices of Yen'fay and Basilio, to ensure their deaths weren't in vain. Fortunately, it seemed their fortunes would begin to change upon the arrival of a new message from several of their scouts. "It appears much of Walhart's forces have retreated to the capital.. with the loss of Yen'fay and Fort Steiger, it'd make sense they'd want to regroup.. of course, the dynasts are also beginning to see opportunity in the rebellion. There's a chance they'll join us if they see any advantages for themselves." She explained, receiving nods from the group.

Chrom raised his blade in a triumphant manner. "Shepherds, allies, friends! This marks our final battle in Valm, and hopefully the final battle of this Conqueror. We march to the Valmese capital!" He ordered, heading for the north. With spirits raised, the remaining soldiers followed behind them, eager to get this battle taken care of. Once at the capital, they looked a bit confused at the fact that there weren't any soldiers waiting for them. "Strange.. I would've expected this place to be crawling with the imperial army.." Chrom said, looking around the field, rubbing his chin. Ja'vassa chimed in. "Perhaps they're simply making final preparations? We've had two major victories, so no matter how strong they are, they need to make sure they make no mistakes here.." The Khajiit suggested. "If we storm into the castle, we'll be knee-deep in our enemies.."

Back inside the castle, several Valmese generals were conversing; namely Excellus and the formerly defeated Cervantes. The bearded general was as usual just stroking his luscious whiskers, grinning. "Take a whiff of that, tactician.. you can practically smell the anticipation. It's making it difficult to brush my beard.. our struggle will be immense, but we'll no doubt go down in history as legends." He said, slinging his tomahawk on his shoulder. Excellus turned to him, "There's gonna be no struggle.. those dynasts will be here soon enough and they'll do the slaughtering for us. You and I can just relax here. We've no need to risk any Valmese soldiers, and perhaps no one is better at judging this than I. The Resistance may have been able to stop Yen'fay and Pheros, but they won't be able to stop the dynasts.."

Soon, Walhart would enter the fray. "Cervantes, who has broken beyond the limits of a normal man? Who has risen above the divines?" He asked, crossing his arms. Cervantes bowed, "Only you, milord." He confirmed. Walhart would then turn to his tactician, "Care to explain your previous statement, Excellus?" He asked, his stern tone sounding slightly angered.

"I-I meant no disrespect, master.. I only wish to achieve greatness in your glory." Excellus said frantically, sweating in nervousness.

"How can you expect to win any kind of glory stuck in a castle? True glory is won on the field of battle, watching your opponent's hope drain away with his life. I have no desire to be holed up in a castle following some cowardly plan." The Conqueror said, soon leaving.

Cervantes chuckled seeing Excellus' reaction. "For a genius, you sure can be stupid." He shook his head, crossing his arms.

The tactician now seething with rage, glaring at his ally. "Who are you to talk to me like that? Speaking to your superiors like that will get you nowhere." He warned, clenching his spellbook.

The other general laughed, "You are no one's superior, worm. Now, if you'll excuse me, I must prepare for the coming battle. Why don't you prepare some tea for our friends?" He suggested, also leaving.

Excellus flushed with anger as he watched Cervantes leave. "Who does that moron think he's talking to?" He muttered, slowly calming down. "I should keep my composure together.. both of them will be dead soon, one way or another, I'll live to see another day."

Back outside, the group had finally finished preparations for the coming battle. "Chrom.. we've got company." Ja'vassa said. "Say'ri, is that Walhart?" He asked, pointing towards the man in the red armor.