Chapter Eighteen

I wished I could run further than the library that was my current destination. The coward in me wanted to run far, far away and not have to deal with this drama, but the rest of me understood that it wasn't that easy. Besides, I could never hurt everyone by running away without a brilliant explanation as to why. No. Running away would cause nothing but more problems.

I'm ashamed to admit that I avoided Daniel, Hannah and Matty for the entire morning. As I had no lessons with Matty in the morning it should have been easy to avoid him, but it seemed that everywhere I turned he was there with his Mate, so I took to arriving late or very early to class to avoid him and minimise the risk of bumping into them in the hallway.

It also helped me avoid Hannah as she always arrives just a second or two before the bell would ring to start class. Normally I would save her a seat but today I made sure to sit somewhere with no spare seats nearby. Throughout class I could see Hannah throwing looks at me, but I pretended to be so immersed in the lessons that I couldn't see. That was far from true. I was so wrapped up in my thoughts and self-pity that if the teacher had asked me a question I would have answered with a monologue of how my life sucked. However, pretending I was paying attention to class was a lot easier than letting Han know that I was purposely avoiding her.

I didn't want to be rude or upset Hannah but I just couldn't face her. I knew she would have questions to ask me, the answers of which I'm still trying to figure out myself, and I knew that sooner or later I'd have to face her - especially because I need to get a lift back today as my baby is still at home - but being the coward that I am I want to put it off as long as possible.

Daniel was a different problem. Like Matty he seemed to be everywhere, but unfortunately I couldn't escape him by going to class as I shared two of my morning lessons with him. I managed to escape the classroom before either Hannah or Daniel could reach me during my first lesson, and the second period teacher kept me behind to discuss catch-up work for so long that I missed break and had to run to my next class just in time to make it.

Unfortunately my lateness meant that there were no spare seats except, for one next to Daniel near the front of the class. I looked around the classroom once more just to make sure, before I reluctantly slid into the seat next to his. Being at the front of class had its benefits though, as he couldn't talk to me without the teacher noticing, and if anyone didn't do the work set, she would hone down like a tracking missile and blow them to smithereens!

Okay, maybe that's a bit exaggerated, but she would find out and she would punish you by making you stand up and explain why you weren't working to the rest of the class, then she would make you do your work on the whiteboard for the next ten minutes and every time you made a mistake she would point it out to you and make you start over. It actually helps us as most of the time the people not working are the ones too shy or too 'cool' to say that they don't understand, but with her helping them at the whiteboard they would quickly catch on. However, even though it helps us, its still embarrassing.

About two thirds of the way through the lesson I raised my hand and told Ms that I was done with the questions she had set us. A couple murmurs of "nerd" and "teachers pet" went around the class, but the majority of people were used to myself and a few others finishing the problems quickly, so really it was only a matter of who, not when or if. Indeed, I heard a quiet but intense conversation from behind me that cut off quickly. I turned around just in time to see one of the guys grumpily hand over a fiver to his friend, who smiled smugly and winked at me as he pocketed the money.

I turned back to the front with a small, amused smile on my face and handed my workbook to miss to mark. I leaned back in my chair and looked around the classroom. Only a few people were taking the problems seriously, the rest were half-heartedly completing the equations as they talked with their friends or were trying to finish off homework before next period.