Chapter two

~~ Mackenzie pov ~~

"Wake up, Kennie."

I tried to ignore it, but the annoying voice waking me from my precious sleep was joined with someone poking my cheek. I groaned at this and tried to pull the quilts further over my head, but the person sat heavily on my stomach, and I let out a little 'oof' as the breath left me as well as all thoughts of burying myself under my quilts.

My eyes snapped open to see my younger brother sitting on me, and I tried to get him off, but he's heavier than he looks. When yar think 'Younger brother', don't think the cute but annoying 6 year olds that jokingly fight with their older sis or something like that. Instead think more along the lines of 5 ft 10 and 12 stone worth of evil and very annoying teenage boy. He was only fourteen and a half but he was already taller than me, who at 5 ft 6 seemed to be taking after our mom in height, where-as my younger brother seemed to be taking after our dad, the lucky bugger. I narrowed my eyes up at him for the rude wake-up but he just grinned at me and started tickling me.

"stop! stop!!" I cried in mercy about 10 minutes later, tears streaming down my face and my hands clutching the stitches in my sides. He stopped with a laugh and I sat up in my bed to better catch my breath. I playfully glared at him, but he knew I was fighting back laughter. Before I could even attempt to get payback he jumped up and made his way to my door, calling over his shoulder as he left "really, get up Kennie. Dad's dropping me off in half an hour so if you want your presents then you need to be up now." I groaned and thought about ducking under my covers to catch a couple more z's but the lure of presents was too strong. Being already dressed all I had to do was re-apply lipbalm and eyeliner, brush my hair and tug on my fave black converse before I ran down the stairs to see mom, dad and thomas [my younger brother] sitting on the sofa in the sitting room.

"Happy birthday honey !"  I smiled at dad and returned my mom's quick hug before she walked over to the table that held my presents on it. I let a small smile slip on my lips as I looked at the large pile. I’d asked for lots of things this year, on the off-chance they might get one or two, but they'd bought all of it by the looks of it and I felt really grateful, because usually they were so busy with their jobs that they didn't have much spare time for shopping, but this year they seemed to have made an effort.

"you gunna stare at them all day or are yar gunna open them?" I laughed at that and took the present my mom was holding out to me and eagerly started un-wrapping it.

********
My mouth was starting to hurt by now from all the smiling I was doing, but I couldn't seem to stop. I’d gotten everything I’d asked my parents for this year, even the ones that I knew must have taken a while to find, and the ones that probably seemed weird. I'd gotten a psp with some games for it; a couple new xbox 360 games including final fantasy XIII, dead space and a couple racing games; a collection of films I’d wanted for a while; about ten books for some of my 'collections' as mom called them, like the sweet valley twins and the Morganville vampires; a pack of white tack; a large amount of cardboard including a rather large cardboard box; new pastels, paints and pencils; a hoola hoop; a few hoodies; different coloured tinsel; one pair of iron fist heels, one pair of iron fist trainers, and an iron fist top; and my favourite - a pair of nerdy glasses and a black leather jacket. I had a few more items, but these were the ones I was happiest about getting, though i'm sure you think me absurd for wanting white tack and tinsel for my birthday, but that's for another time ;) I slipped on the thick black frames of the nerdy glasses that I didn't need and slid on the jacket then twirled for my family. "How do I look??" I asked them, and they looked at me amused for a moment before Thomas burst out with "Like you!". I couldn't help joining in their laughter at that and I felt proud at that comment.

"Come on. we have one more present for you." I slid off the glasses and placed them in my bag for later as I followed my dad out the front door and round to the garage. I already knew what the present was but that didn't stop my gasp as I finally saw it. Standing right next to my dad's Mondeo was the most beautiful bike I’d ever seen. It was a Kawasaki Ninja, just as I’d asked for, and it was a pure black, bulky beauty. I swung my leg over it and bounced in the seat before wrapping my arms tightly around the handlebars and squealing excitedly. "I love it ! thank you thank you thank you thank you!! Eeeeeeeee!! " I let out a little screech of excitement as I ran over to mom and dad and gave them both a quick but excited hug. I grabbed my bag off the floor by my beautiful bike and jumped back on it as I slid my helmet on. I waved goodbye to my family as I roared out of the garage and made my way to school, thanking every god and goddess there was for my good luck and for such a wonderful birthday.

But as I said before, Karma hates me, and I wasn't about to be let of so easily.