Chapter 19

The corridors were crowded with rowdy, loud, teenagers excited for lunch time, voices overlapping as everyone struggled to be heard over the din. Some people gathered in groups in the hallway, waiting for their friends to come out of class, and others pushed past on their way to the cafeteria, library or outside to enjoy their lunch time in the sunshine. Daniels stomach growled and he mentally urged Kennie to hurry up so they could go get some lunch before all the good stuff went.

A flash of curly brown hair and a very familiar scent passed through the crowd. It was like a slap in his face. Daniel straightened up, eyes widened. He cursed quietly, and after a quick glance at the classroom door he ran through the crowd calling out Hannah’s name. Kennie probably wouldn’t be out for some time, and he really needed time alone with Hannah. They needed to talk.

Daniel dashed through the crowds until he caught up with her. Hannah looked up at him in surprise, her eyes wide and mouth slightly agape. Her eyes sparkled and her cheeks were slightly flushed. He couldn’t help noticing how pretty she looked in her green dress, her dark chocolate curls framing her face and falling over her shoulders.

“We need to talk.” He said, looking at Hannah with an intense expression on his face. Reality came back to her and she closed her mouth and nodded, eyes still wide and hopeful, and he felt a stab of guilt.

Daniel turned on his heel and started down the hallway, knowing she was keeping pace. He looked in classrooms as they went and eventually they found one that was unoccupied, so he ushered Hannah in and pushed the door to behind them. He took her hand and led her to the back of the classroom, then when she stepped up next to him he turned to face her.

A frown bunched up his eyebrows and downturned his mouth as he looked at Hannah and tried to think of how to tell her what he needed to. He had no idea where to begin. For a couple minutes they stood like that, until Hannah placed one hand on his arm, then after a pause she places her other hand on his other shoulder. She went to take a step forwards but Daniel placed his hands on her waist and kept her a short distance away.

Daniel looks into Hannahs eyes - eyes like melted chocolate, eyes that he once thought held everything he could wish for -  and struggled to find the words he needed. They were nothing like Mackenzie's - Mackenzie, whose eyes were sapphires, emeralds and citrine, or spitting gold and blue fire when she was feeling emotional. Oh how he craved their warmth. Chocolate was sweet and lovely, but he needed the dazzling shine and fire to keep his soul alive. He couldn't imagine ever feeling warm again without it.

He pulled out of his thoughts and refocused on the present. Kennie would be getting out of the classroom soon and he wanted to be there when she did. He'd already hurt her too many times and he didn't want her to know about his meeting with Hannah. He knew it would more than likely give her the wrong impression and he'd have to fight again to make Kennie forgive him. 'I don't care', he thought to himself. 'I don't care how long I have to fight for her. I will not give up on her, not ever, and I need to let her and Hannah know that.'

"We can't see each other any more Hannah." Daniel says. Hannah looks up at him in confusion and he feels a spasm of pity for her but he hardens his features. "I mean, we can't see each other as we did before. Before I found out Kennie was my Mate I mean. I don't know how she found out about us, but she did, and I can't ever hurt her like that again. This can't continue. We can't."

Hannah frowns up at him and gently shakes her head. He feels her hands tighten and a flicker of hurt crosses her features. His heart squeezes in sympathy and his features soften in pity. Hannah's frown deepens.

"Why?" She asks. Her eyes burnt up into his and he saw liquid start to pool in them. "Why can't we see each other any more? You said you loved me and I love you! What more do you need?"