Chapter 67: Carry On

"Hello, guys," Will said, walking into the choir room. "We're almost ready to move on to the second phase but one last person wanted to share before we did. Unique?"

"Thanks," Unique said as she walked up to the front. "It's not just me with the song, but I did want to share a little. As you all know, Shana and I started dating and it was confusing. Not just for me, but for everyone who knew about me. Biologically, I'm a boy. But I'm a girl... And I like guys. But I also like girls, obviously. I can't really explain my sexuality because I don't understand it. All I know is that my heart wants what it wants. And evidently, I'm not the only one. So I gathered a few of us to sing a song that I think everyone can relate to."

She gave the band the signal as Harmony, Shana and Marley stood up to sit with her up front and the song began.

["The Heart Wants What It Wants" by Selena Gomez.]

Unique: You got me sippin' on something. I can't compare to nothing I've ever known. I'm hoping that after this fever I'll survive. 
Shana: I know I'm acting a bit crazy. Strung out, a little bit hazy. Hand over heart, I'm praying that I'm gonna make it out alive.

The girls held hands in front of everyone, proud to show that they had a love which saw past gender and social constructs. It was just two humans who cared deeply for each other. Meanwhile, the other girls sat on either end of them, thinking of their own loved ones.

Marley: The bed's getting cold and you're not here. The future that we hold is so unclear. But I'm not alive until you call. And I'll bet the odds against it all.
Harmony: Save your advice 'cause I won't hear. You might be right but I don't care. There's a million reasons why I should give you up.
All: But the heart wants what it wants. The heart wants what it wants.

Jake glanced over at Julie. She, for once that week, met his gaze, even if it was for just five seconds before turning back to the floor.

Marley: This is a modern fairytale. 
Unique: No happy endings. No wind in our sails. 
Harmony: But I can't imagine a life without. 
Shana: Breathless moments. Breaking me down.
All: Down, down, down.

Harmony looked up and saw that Ryder wasn't even watching her. He was too busy looking around at the rest of the girls and everyone else but her. And seeing the way everyone else who was in love looked at each other, she knew he didn't see her that way. In fact, she doubted that he ever would.

Marley: The bed's getting cold and you're not here. The future that we hold is so unclear. But I'm not alive until you call. And I'll bet the odds against it all.
Harmony: Save your advice 'cause I won't hear. You might be right but I don't care. There's a million reasons why I should give you up.
All: But the heart wants what it wants. The heart wants what it wants.

Unique squeezed Shana's hand as she belted out a bit, impressing everyone, but mostly feeling a bit saddened. She had wasted so much time denying her feelings and now she was running out of time. Though she loved Shana, she would eventually have to give her up. It was only fair to both of them to let go. So they'd have to enjoy the time they had left.

Unique: The bed's getting cold and you're not here. The future that we hold is so unclear. But I'm not alive until you call. And I'll bet the odds against it all.
Shana: Save your advice 'cause I won't hear. You might be right but I don't care. There's a million reasons why I should give you up.
All: But the heart wants what it wants. The heart wants what it wants.

As for Marley, she was going to hold on to John for as long as she could. It couldn't be that hard to keep it together. Her feelings for him hadn't gone away even when he moved away and she didn't see or contact him for months. If they stayed in touch, they could beat the odds.