Chapter 27: The Guilty Ones

"You're..." Jake began, not finding his words. "You're... You said you were... But how?"

"About two and a half months ago," she began through her tears. "We were about to go back to school and I asked you if you were ready to go back to everyone else. And you said nothing mattered because you'd cut ties with everyone you cared about over the summer. And when I said Julie was back in town, you got all serious and we... And I didn't think... But... And now..." She covered her face, crying way too much. When she finally looked back up at him, it broke her heart to see that he was also on the verge of tears.

"Ok," he said, closing his eyes and taking a deep breath. "You're..." He looked down at her and suddenly noticed everything that was different about her. "Yeah, you definitely are... Ok so what comes next?"

"What do you mean?" she asked, confused as she wiped her tears away.

"What do we do now?" Jake elaborated. "Do we call our parents over? Do we tell Mr. Schue or, uh, or Julie? Shit, Julie..."

He put both hands to his face in frustration as he realized that he was more scared of what she would think than what his own mother would. Kitty realized this and said, "I don't want us to tell anyone. At all."

"But..." Jake said, puzzled. "We'll have to eventually unless you want to go away where no one can find you, which would be ridiculous and I wouldn't be ok with—"

"Jake, I called you here because I've scheduled an abortion and I didn't want to be alone for it," she said, her voice breaking as she actually said this aloud. Dan, who was standing at the edge of the wall, turned around and headed for the exit.

"Wait, what?" Jake said, getting up from the ground and joining her on the sofa. "Kitty, I don't think I can be ok with that... On a moral basis, it's just not—"

"Jake, I had to push aside my religion to be more realistic," she stopped him. "The two of us... We don't have a future together... Bringing a child into this already screwed up relationship would be terrible. And I... I wish I had the strength of Quinn Fabray, you know? Stick to my faith, have the kid, and then give him or her to someone who could give it the life it deserves. But I can't... I like being thin and careless and popular and... It's my senior year. I have to think about myself and the path I want my life to be on... Being a mom is not one of my goals, not now. You should do the same and thinking about what you're building for yourself, Jake. And with Julie. Unless you want to go through what your brother went through, you should get on-board with me..."

They sat there in silence for a few more minutes, just thinking. Finally, Jake cleared his throat and said, "Ok, Kitty... It's your choice."

"I want it to be our choice," she shook her head. "Are you really ok with this?"

Jake took a deep breath and sighed, "Yes. I think you're right. Our families, our friends, ourselves... We will all be better off without this."

Kitty began to cry again and nodded. "Ok... I need you to take me to the front desk now so that they can tell me where to go now... And I need you to take me there, too, because I'm freaking out and I'm scared and..."

"Hey, hey, hey," he stopped her, holding her chin up to meet his gaze. "You'll get through this, ok? We'll get through it."

***

Jake ended up missing calls from just about everyone he cared about, including Puck, who had a schedule Skype session with him. He hated leaving so many people hanging, but at the moment there was something else distracting him. 

["Whispering" from Spring Awakening.]

As for Kitty, she had to go through several exams before actually going through the procedure. Everything had to be right and safe. She walked from room to room, having different nurses testing different parts of her with different equipment. All the while, she couldn't stop her eyes from tearing up.