Chapter 35: The District Championship

"I need to talk to you," Julie said, marching up to Stefan with her hands on her hips.

He smiled when he saw her and dismissed the girls that had been surrounding him with a quick wave. Annoyed, they did as instructed and left them to talk. "What brings you to me, Beautiful?" Stefan said.

Julie rolled her eyes and said, "It's about Bree you idiot. You two were involved. How long had she been... You know..."

"Chasing the dragon?" he asked. "No clue. We didn't really, uh... Do much talking."

"So you had no idea that she was on drugs?" she asked him. "None at all? How do you manage not to notice while you're sleeping with her?"

"How do you manage not to notice when you're best friends?" Stefan responded. When she scowled he added, "Look, I don't mean to insult you. I just... I'm sorry I didn't notice. And I care about Bree but it's not like I'm in love with her ok? She's not my responsibility. I mean, I don't even like her in that way."

Julie looked disgusted as she shook her head at him. "How can you not like her that way if you—"

"I could've liked her," Stefan said, smiling. "But she didn't let me in. Besides, how can I focus on other women when I've got you looking so pretty?" 

Julie scowled and said, "Don't hold your breath on that one. Just go back to those other women."

She began to walk away but Stefan pursued her. "Wait," he walked next to her. "You realize I'm the most desirable guy at this school, right? Football season will end after tonight and Ryder won't have anything anchoring him to his popularity. But I will. And when that happens, you're going to need me to put the Cheerios back on top."

Julie turned to him and said, "Screw you."

"You will eventually," he called out as she walked on. "For now I'll just enjoy the lesser versions of you."

[Cue "Mambo No. 5" by Lou Bega—fun fact, I danced this when I was in preschool lol. I destroyed all the evidence.]

Stefan: Ladies and gentlemen. This is Mambo No. 5! 

He smiled smugly as his groupies circled around him once again, taking the opportunity of Julie leaving to get as close to him as possible again.

Stefan: One, two, three, four, five. Everybody in the car, so come on let's ride to the liquor store around the corner. The boys say they want some gin and juice but I really don't wanna. Beer bust, like I had last week. I must stay deep, 'cause talk is cheap. I like Angela, Pamela, Sandra and Rita. And as I continue you know they're getting sweeter.

Jake, who had been watching Stefan from across the hall as soon as he saw Julie go to him, rolled his eyes when a group of girls swooned over him. Having been on that side of the road, he was annoyed that Stefan thought he was cool for being a womanizer.

Stefan: So what can I do? I really beg you, my Lord. To me flirting is just like a sport. Anything fly, it's all good let me dump it. Please set in the trumpet.

Stefan was well aware of Jake's thoughts about him, but he didn't care. He was nothing like Jake, who slept with girls for no particular reason other than to prove he could. Stefan liked women, he liked them a lot, and he flirted with them and romanced them for as long as it was fun. But he didn't sleep with them. Well, except for Bree. But he didn't romance her. 

Stefan: A little bit of Monica in my life. A little bit of Erica by my side. A little bit of Rita is all I need. A little bit of Tina is what I see. A little bit of Sandra in the sun. A little bit of Mary all night long. A little bit of Jessica here I am. A little bit of you makes me your man.