Chapter 48: Good Job

["I Knew You Were Trouble/All About You" by Taylor Swift/Hilary Duff. Again, check out the mashup created by DJ Pyromania, which I've also posted a link to on Tumblr and on the chapter.]

Julie: Oooh ooh oh oh. Hey!

Julie stood in front of Marley in the choir room and nodded, signaling for her to get started. Though the beat was to her song, "All About You" by Hilary Duff, she wanted Marley to have her chance, as it was she who had called her out for a battle round.

Marley: Once upon a time a few mistakes ago. I was in your sights, you got me alone. You found me, you found me, you found me... I guess you didn't care, and I guess I liked that. And when I fell hard you took a step back. Without me, without me, without me...

When Marley glanced at Jake, Julie's protectiveness kicked in. She stepped in front of Marley and took over with her song.

Julie: 'Cause hey baby, baby you got me so. So good...Hey baby, baby I got it so. So bad... 

Marley was not ready to give in that easily. Harmony had crushed Bree and she could do the same to Julie. She kept her ground and continued on with her goal.

Marley (Julie): Now I'm lying on the cold hard ground. Oh, oh, trouble, trouble, trouble. Oh, oh, trouble, trouble, trouble (you... you...) Oh, oh, trouble, trouble, trouble.

The New Directions weren't sure how this would end. Two talented girls, two fun songs by two other beloved artists. Would there be a winner? Julie decided the best way to get everyone on board with he was to invite them to join in, so she waved her hands at her friends and indicated for them to sing backup.

Julie (New Directions): I don't wanna keep a secret (No no no more) This is more than just a little thing, (baby for sure) I can't wait until the next time (We meet) Gonna kiss you in the daylight. Out on the beach.
Marley: I see... He was long gone when he met me. And I realize the joke is on me...

Before she could belt out a note, Julie clapped her hands and took over again.

Julie: Hey! Think you're all about me but I'm all about you. Turn the lights down let me show you it's true. Get a little taste of what I'm into. Think you're all about me but I'm all about.
Marley: Trouble, trouble, trouble...

As Marley sang to Julie, the latter could've sworn that the former was trying to tell her something. She just wasn't sure what that was. Was it about Jake? Was it a warning through song? Why?

Julie (Marley): You... (Oh! Oh!) Think you're all about me but I'm all about you (trouble, trouble, trouble) You... (Oh! Oh!) Think you're all about me but I'm all about you (trouble, trouble, trouble) 

As Marley slowed down, she stopped looking at Julie and turned her attention the ground instead. This worried Julie, who sensed some sort of pain in her eyes. But what did it have to do with her?

Marley: And the saddest fear comes creeping in. That you never loved me or her, or anyone, or anything...
New Directions: Hey!

The girls stared at each other for a moment, neither of them sure of whether the song would go on.

Julie: Oooh ooh oh oh. Think you're all about me, but I'm all about you
New Directions: Hey!
Marley: Oooh ooh oh oh
New Directions: Think you're all about me, but I'm all about you

As the girls sang and danced in place, Julie gave Marley a quizzical look, demanding for her to tell her what was going on.

Both: Think you're all about me but I'm all about you. Turn the lights down let me show you it's true . Get a little taste of what I'm into.
Julie (Marley): Think you're all about me but I'm all about you (Oh! Oh!) You...  
Marley: Trouble, trouble, trouble