Chapter 23: The Dance-Off

I checked this for errors but I wouldn't be surprised if there's still a random sentence that cuts off in the middle and is never completed (I rearranged the order completely after writing it) because I am very, VERY tired. However, the last chapter made it to 15 votes which meant I had a deadline to meet :P So enjoy!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LIMA, OHIO

[Cue "Don't Do Sadness/Blue Wind" por favor :P]

Dan: Awful sweet to be a little butterfly. Just wingin' over things and nothing deep inside. Nothing going, going wild in you, you know... You're slowing by the riverside or floatin' high and blue. Or maybe cool to be a little summer wind. Fly once through everything and then away again. With the taste of dust in your mouth all day. But no need to know like sadness. You just sail away 'cause you know.

Dan moved around slowly in the stage as he sang, his expression full of the exact emotion he was singing about and that had gotten him the role of Moritz.

Dan: I don't do sadness. Not even a little bit. Just don't need it in my life. Don't want any part of it. I don't do sadness... Hey, I've done my time. Looking back on it all. Man, it blows my mind. I don't do sadness.

Amity walked on-stage, holding her script in one hand and rubbing her arm nervously with the other.

Dan: So been there. Don't do sadness. Just don't care...

Amity, as Ilse, cleared her throat as she approached Dan and said, "Moritz Stiefel?"

Dan, as Moritz, stopped, turning around and said, "Ilse? You frightened me."

"What are you looking for?" Amity asked.

With a smile on his face, Dan shook his head and answered, "If only I knew."

"Then what's the use of looking?" Amity asked, putting a hand on his shoulder. "Want to come?"

"I don't know..." Dan said nervously. In the audience, the rest of New Directions watched the two friends work off of each other on the stage. It was the first day of the week and they were expected to be off-book soon.

"You remember how we used to run back to my house and play pirates?" Amity asked, walking away from him and towards the audience, looking out into the distance and nothing. "Wendla Bergmann, Melchior Gabor, you, and I."

The music began again and Amity put down her script. While Dan had spent all weekend memorizing his lines and the songs, all she had managed so far were the lyrics.

Amity: Spring and summer every other day. Blue wind gets so sad. Blowin' through the thick corn. Through the bales of hay. Through the open books on the grass. Spring and summer...

She was nervous about this, thinking if she didn't impress the directors soon, she'd never land such a great role again.

Amity: Sure, when it's autumn. Wind always wants to creep up and haunt you. Whistlin' it's got you. With its heartache, with its sorrow. Winter wind sings and it cries.

Alex watched her from his seat in the third row, jotting down notes like everyone else but wanting nothing more than to let her know she was perfect up there. He wasn't too crazy about playing Dan's best friend or Bree's lover, but Amity being there made it all worthwhile, seeing as it was the only way to spend time with her.

Amity: Spring and summer every other day. Blue wind gets so pained. Blowin' through the thick corn. Through the bales of hay. Through the sudden drift of the rain. Spring and summer.