Chapter 42: Ice and Snow

"Wow," said Ryder as he stood in Carrie's living room. His date emerged from the hallway in a slick, turquoise, sparkling, strapless mermaid dress, which he was sure would look even more stunning under the white and blue lights of their school gym. Her parents were blinding them with photographs as the two hugged, exchanged corsages, and posed for the camera.

"Ready to go win those crowns?" she asked him with a smile.

"Ready," he nodded.

***

"I probably shouldn't be eating so much," Julie mumbled as she took another bite of her bread stick. "These things taste terrible and they'll probably have me popping out of my dress soon." She looked down at her short, white dress and shook her head.

"I wouldn't mind," Jake said. Julie gave him a look and he laughed, reaching for one of her hands and squeezing.

"It's strange, isn't it?" Marley sighed. She reached for John's hand and said, "Who would've thought that the four of us would be here together, under these circumstances? I mean, even a year ago it wouldn't have seemed very likely."

"Things really have changed," Julie agreed with a nod. 

"And thank goodness for that," John responded, leaning in to give Marley a kiss.

"How adorable," said Carrie, walking past them with her arm linked to Ryder's. "You make a lovely pair."

"Thank you?" Marley responded, confused. 

"See you all out on the ice," Carrie nodded, leading Ryder to a different table.

"Are they just going to have dinner?" Marley asked. "We're about ready to head to the dance."

"Probably trying to be fashionably late," Julie said scornfully as she watched Carrie carefully take a seat in front of Ryder at a distant table. "There's nothing fashionable about tardiness."

"You're so cute when you pout," Jake told her.

"Gross," John complained. "Ok, that's the cue for us to pay up and leave."

"I agree," Julie nodded. "Let's go have ourselves a hell of a time!"

***

["Classic" by MKTO.]

Sam: Ooh ooh oh oh oh.

Harmony was among the group of girls standing by the stage, dancing to the beat of 140 Characters.

Sam: Ooh girl you're shining. Like a 5th avenue diamond. And they don't make you like they used to. You're never going out of style.

Sam wasn't too excited about reliving his high school days at a McKinley dance, but as Ryder had insisted, it wasn't a bad idea and they could use all the exposure they could get. 

Sam: Ooh pretty baby. This world might've gone crazy. The way you save me. Who can blame me? When I just wanna make you smile?

John didn't really have a choice—when you're newly-official girlfriend asks you to attend a Winter ball as her date, you kind of have to show up.

John: I wanna thrill you like Michael. I wanna kiss you like Prince. Let's get it on like Marvin Gaye. Like Hathaway. Write a song for you like this.

Julie was dancing with Jake, having a fun time, when Stefan danced by with Peyton. The second pair was being silly, making faces at them as they passed them. Jake smiled politely, but Julie could only roll her eyes and turn her attention to her boyfriend.