Chapter 47: Face Off

I am officially a nominee for the Wattys2014! So if you want to help this story win (I have to finish it by Dec. 15th for it to qualify. The story will run all the way to May and right now they're at the end of January, which means I'll be writing much more often to make it to the end!) leave a lot of votes and comments, share it on Facebook/Twitter with the hashtag #Wattys2014, and show your love however else you can!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It lasted for a week," Will said as he sat in the teacher's lounge with Emma. "They came back from their camping trip best of pals, inseparable. And then suddenly they went back to all the fighting."

"Do you know why?" Emma asked him.

Will shrugged and said, "Well, I guess you could say that it all started when I asked the captains to brainstorm songs for Regionals with them."

***

"No one's bigger than Taylor Swift right now," Marley said. "It'd be smart to finally do one of her songs in competition."

"And bore the audience to death with songs about her ex that cheated on her?" Jake scoffed. "No way."

"Oh just because you know what it's like to be on that end of things..." Marley rolled her eyes. He looked at her, surprised at her sudden aggressiveness.

"Get over it, Marley," Julie defended him as she stood at the front of the choir room with Kitty. "It was a long time ago."

"I am over it," Marley stood up for herself. "I just think someone like Jake shouldn't be judging."

"Ok, ok, enough," Kitty rolled her eyes. "Back on track. Taylor is... an option." She forced herself to write the name on the white board. "Anything else?"

"We have to do a girl group number," Shana insisted. "We have the hottest girls ever and best vocals of the group as well as best dancing is dominated by our female population."

"There are plenty of male artists out there for us guys to represent in that case," Ryder responded.

"No," Julie shook her head. "We've been doing the female-male split every year and it's getting old. Kitty, add it to the list but... We need something more."

"Why are we even going through this right now?" Rory asked, seeming pretty bored. "We have two months until Regionals and we usually just come up with something, like, the day before."

"We want to actually win Nationals this year," Harmony told him. "Julie and Kitty are right to do this. We need to start kicking butt now. I for one think we should do a Katy Perry number."

"We've had Katy vs Gaga week before," Unique told her. "Get with the program."

"Well, I wasn't here," Harmony retorted. "And besides, Katy is a pop icon. Regionals tends to go to a pop or classic rock set list. And I think we'd be better off going the pop route."

"Boo..." Alex groaned, complaining as Amity soothed his arm.

"I think Harmony's idea is good," Amity agreed, "but I wouldn't go with someone like Katy. We need an artist that poses as an icon for the underdogs. Someone like Lorde."

"Absolutely not," Kitty shook her head. "Lorde is awful."

"Agreed," Bree nodded. 

"Disagree!" Shana exclaim. "Lorde is great. I'm with Amity."

"We should do some Nicki Minaj," Unique interrupted them. "I went to Nationals with that song back with Vocal Adrenaline."

"And there's a reason you didn't win," Kitty told her.