Seventy-Five

Damon

I sit on the sofa with Abby on my lap. I hold my arms around her and hold her as close to me as I possibly can. I feel her body shake, she must be really scared...

I didn't tell her everything I know, yet. I don't want to drop a bomb on her like that. I want her to calm down first.

"Don't you think Elena and Stefan should be back by now?" Abby asks. I lift one hand and let my fingers go through her hair. "They will be back soon. Give them some time," I tell her. She sighs and leans against my chest.

Man, she feels cold. I mean, I am cold, but so is she! And she shouldn't be.

I hold her closer and sigh. "What do you think it is, Damon?" Abby asks. I get scared. I don't want to tell her just yet.

"I don't know. I have never seen this before," I tell her. I can't believe I am lying to her. Well, it's not a total lie. I have not seen this before, but I do know more than I let on.

"I think you didn't drink enough blood to let it heal you," Jeremy says. I hear Abby move a bit. I know she doesn't believe him, but she doesn't want to tell him that.

I look at Jeremy. He looks worried. I bet he wanted Abby to feel better after his words, but he knows he didn't succeed.

So I look at him and smile. I want him to know she apreciates his gesture, she just can't show it right now. Jeremy smiles back at me and stares down at his hands.

For a moment we all stay quiet. Nobody knows what to say or nobody wants to say anything at all. I get it, it is a hard pill to swallow.

All of a sudden, the front door opens. Abby, Jeremy and I sit op and stare at the door. A few seconds later, Elena and Stefan walk in. Abby stands up, so I let go of her. Abby walks towards Elena and hugs her without saying a word.

"How are you feeling?" Elena asks her. "Not good," Abby admits. I smile. I know she wants everybody to know she is doing fine, so we wouldn't worry about her that much. But I am glad she comes clean now.

Stefan walks towards me, so I stand up and cross my arms. "So?" I ask him. "We got nothing," he says. I lift my eyebrow. "What do you mean? Did you compel the guy?" I ask. Stefan nods, "we did, but he told us the same thing he told Abby."

I sigh and sit down again. "He didn't tell you one small piece extra?" I ask. Stefan shakes his head. "Not even a word extra," he says.

"So now what?" Abby asks. We all look at her. "Now, you go upstairs and get to bed. Tomorrow will be a tough day and you need to be ready for it," Elena says. I see the disappointment in Abby's face. That is not what she wanted to hear, not even close.

"I don't want to sleep, I want to know what is going on so we can fix it. Fix me..." She says. She walks over to me and takes a seat on my lap. I wrap my arms around her and hold her again. Elena looks at us with her judgy eyes, but she doesn't say anything, gladly.

"We may know something..." Elena says. We all look at her with confusion and worry in our eyes. "You just said you didn't find anything," I say. Elena sighs and takes a seat next to us.

"We didn't know anything extra, but I think we should tell her everything we know and suspect," Elena says. I look at her and try to warn her not to say another word. But Elena just looks at Abby.

"I don't think we should tell her this while it may not even be true," Stefan says. I sigh, they do know they just make Abby more and more curious, right?

"What? What is it? Tell me!" She says. Elena grabs both her hands and sighs. "There is one thing we know is immune for vampire blood," Elena says. Abby looks at her, begging her to go on.