Sixty

Abby

When we finally arrive at the house, I quickly get out of the car. Damon grabs my bag for me and walks me to the door. We both know that Elena will do anything she can to keep him out of the house.

I knock on the door, which opens within seconds. Jeremy stands in the opening and smiles wide. "Abby! So glad to have you home!" He says and hugs me tight. I hug him back and hold him for a moment. I can't hug Damon without that scary feeling, so I just hug Jeremy instead.

When Jeremy and I let go, Jeremy looks at Damon. I want to warn him not to be mean, but he just nods at Damon and lets him in. Damon smiles at him and walks inside.

"Elena and Stefan will be home in a minute, they had to get some groceries. Jenna and Alaric will be home in an hour or so," Jeremy explains. I nod and turn around to Damon. "I think I will just take a nap," I tell him. Damon nods, "shall I walk with you to bring your stuff?"

I smile and reach for my bag. "I got it," I say, but he pulls it away from me. "No, babe, I got it," he says. Damon touches my arm with a smile. I already feel the fear burning in my body. In a reflex, I take a step back so his hand can't touch me.

Damon looks at me with worry in his eyes. "Are you okay?" he asks. I smile my fakest smile and nod. "Just tired," I say. Damon puts my bag down and takes a few steps closer to me. "There is more going on, tell me," he insists. I sigh and look down. "Nothing is going on. I am just recovering," I say.

Damon puts his hand on my chin and makes me look at him. "No, there is more. Every time I touch you, you start to shake and you have this weird look in your eyes," he says. I get scared, he saw that?

"What is going on with you?" he asks. I sigh and take a step back from him. "I am just not in the mood," I say. But he just takes a step closer to me again. "Don't lie to me, Abby," he says. His words are way more serious now.

When his hand touches mine, I start to shake again. "This is what I mean! Your whole body starts to freak out everytime I touch you," he says. I look away from his worried eyes to Jeremy. But also his eyes are filled with worry. He doesn't say anything and just stands there, waiting for me to explain.

"Fine," I sigh, "my body freaks out everytime you touch me." Damon stays quiet and waits for me to go on, but I have nothing left to say.

"Why?" he asks. "I don't know! It acts like you are some kind of danger or scary thing," I say, "I didn't choose this!" Damon takes a step back. His eyes go big and he looks terrifeid. "You really are traumatized..." he says.

I sigh and shake my head. "I am not!" I say. Damon nods, "you are. You freak out everytime I touch you, you have nightmares and you see things that aren't real." I hear Jeremy gasp beside me. "Is it that bad?" He asks.

I stare at Damon. Is he right? Yes, I see things that aren't there. Yes, I feel scared when he touches me. Yes, I have nightmares. But does that mean I am traumatized?

But then I realize. The feelings I feel whenever Damon touches me... that makes me feel like I am back in that cell... But back then, when Damon touched me, I didn't feel scared. His touch made me feel safer than I actually was. Why does that backfire now? But most importantly: how do we fix it?

"Abby?" Jeremy asks, "Is it really that bad?" I sigh and stare at Damon. His eyes find mine. I don't see anger, I only see worry and fear.

"Yes, it is that bad," I finally confess. "Every time you touch me, I feel like I am back in that cell," I tell Damon. Damon tences, "Every time I touch you?" I nod and feel tears filling my eyes.