Fifty-Four

Damon

Abby closes her eyes and her body relaxes. I feel my eyes water up. I let my hand go through her hair. Just to feel her hair going through my fingers one last time and to try to comfort her.

I look at her body. She is so thin but still so beautiful. Even now she is just a skeleton with skin, she is one of the most beautiful girls I've ever seen.

I look at her face again. Her cheeks are not red anymore. Her entire face is kind of yellow and grey. I put my hand on her cheek.

I feel how her body moves with every breath. Thank god she is still breathing. I know it will stop any moment, but I am glad I can hear her breathing for now.

When I close my eyes, I feel more and more tears rolling down my face. If someone would've told me two months ago that I would sit here, crying over a girl - that is not Elena - I would probably laugh in their face, maybe hurt them for saying something insane like that.

But here I am, crying over this girl that turned my world upside down by just being herself.

When I open my eyes, I take a last look at her. "You have no idea how much you mean to me," I tell her. I don't know if she can hear me, maybe only doctor Martin hears me, but I don't care. I've never said this out loud, but I need to.

"You turned my entire world upside down," I say, "I never thought I could fall for someone so badly as I fell for you..." With every word that leaves my mouth, more and more tears drip down.

Before I even know it, I cry so much, I could fill a river. I pat Abby's face and hold her close to me.

"Thank you, Abby," I cry, "thank you for just being you, thank you for giving me a chance and thank you so much for loving me." I hold her body with both hands and hug her. I hug her almost-lifeless body as close as I possibly could.

For minutes, maybe even hours, I hold her. I keep holding her while I cry my eyes out. But I don't care. I have no idea how I will ever be able to keep living my life without this woman.

All of a sudden, I hear a door open. I sigh angrily. This dude needs to leave us alone! Or just let us go, but I know he won't. He made that clear.

When I hear footsteps coming closer, I don't look up. I don't care that he will see me cry like a crazy person!

But then I hear multiple footsteps. They all come closer little by little. I feel like I am going crazy, when I hear my name. But it's not doctor Martin's voice.

Quickly, I look up. I want to jump up and scream when I see Stefan and Alaric walking into the room. Alaric holds a gun. "Damon!" Stefan says. He runs to the door of the cell and tries to open it.

"Don't bother, Stef, I tried that a lot of times," I tell him, still seated on the floor. "Step back!" Alaric yells. I move a little bit away when he aims his gun at the lock of the door.

When Alaric shoots a bullet at the lock, I quickly cover Abby, so she won't get hit by a flying piece.

Alaric opens the door easily and they both run towards me. "Are you okay?" Stefan asks. Alaric kneels down besides me and looks at Abby. "What happened?" He asks.

"She didn't eat anything for over a month. We need to get her out of here!" I say. Alaric nods and puts his weapon away. He holds his arms up for Abby, but I am not ready to give her to him. "I got her," I tell him, but he just takes her out of my arms.

"You are weak yourself, I got her," he says. He stands up and takes her out of the room. I quickly stand up, but it turns out Alaric was right, I am weak.