Six

Abby

The next day I walk with Macy and Emma through the hallways of the school. "I think it's cute," Macy says. "Cute? Why would you do that? Now you can't have any secrets from them!" Emma says. I laugh, I just told them about my pact with Jeremy and Elena. "Well, I really needed it. I just want to be sure that they aren't hiding something from me," I tell them. 

"I get it, but now you have to be honest with them too," Emma says. I laugh, "it'll be fine." "I think it is a great idea! And I am happy that they finally told you about Damon!" Macy says. I sigh of relieve, "me too! I mean, they couldn't possible hide him from me any longer!"

"I just can't believe you sat in a car with him," Emma says. "Me neither! How could Stefan do that?" Macy asks. "I know right? But Elena promised she would talk to Stefan," I tell them.

We walk inside of the classroom of history. It is no doubt that this is my favorite class. Alaric is a great teacher, but it is also nice to see his friendly face in front of the classroom. 

When we take a seat, Alaric walks towards me. "Abby, can I talk to you after class, please?" he asks. I get scared immediately, but nod anyway. Alaric smiles and walks back to his desk. "He wants to talk to you? Can't he just do that at home?" Emma jokes. I laugh with her, "you'd think!"

After Alaric dismissed the class, I wait till everyone leaves the room. I take a seat at the front row, close to Alaric's desk as Alaric closes the door. He takes a seat right in front of me at his desk and looks at me with his serious face.

"Am I in trouble?" I ask him right away. Alaric laughs, "no, you're not." "Then why this formal confersation?" I ask. "Well, mister Miller wants to see you at his office," he says. I stand up, "you could've just told me right away."

Alaric stops me before I walk out of the room. "I want to talk to you before that," he says. I am confused, "why?" Alaric seems to be searching for words. "You can just tell me, Ric," I tell him. Alaric smiles, "I want you to have an other option." Now I am even more confused. "What kind of other option?" I ask. "If you want to, I can join you in mister Miller's office, so you don't have to be all alone against him," he says.

I smile and sigh of relieve. "That is really sweet, thank you Ric," I tell him, "but do you think it will be that bad?" "Well, he told me he wanted to talk to you about the past few months and if you are sure you're ready to be back," he tells me. 

I get scared. Mister Miller is the head of the school and he his an ass. Everyone hates him, but luckily, he is not a teacher, only a pain in the ass.

"Do you really think it's necessary for you to be my back-up?" I ask him. Alaric smiles, "only if you want me to. You know what an ass he can be." I sigh and nod, "okay, let's do it!"

So, that's what we do. I walk into the office of mister Miller with Alaric. Mister Miller is kind of confused to see the both of us, but he doesn't say a thing about it when we take a seat.

"So, Abby, first of all: welcome back," he says, "we, all the teachters, can't even imagine what you've been going through these last few months. But that's also why I wanted to talk to you." I nod so he can go on. "All the teachers on this school are ready to help you whenever they can, but we need to be sure that you are one hundred percent sure you're ready to be back," he says.

"I understand, mister Miller, but I am," I tell him. "Okay, but how can we be sure?" He asks. "Well, I tried to go back to school somewhere else for a few weeks and that went great. Plus, so far this week is going great," I tell him. "That's not enough, Abby. Your parents died. Nobody knows when you will break down again," he says.

"If I may interupt," Alaric starts, "Abby is doing great. Being back home with her family and friends is working out better than anyone had ever imagned! Also, I've seen her in class this week and she was doing great." Mister Miller smiles to Alaric, but I can see he is annoyed by him, good.

"I understand that you think that, Alaric, because you are practicly living there," mister Miller says, "but we need someone with a professional eye to look at this situation." Alaric nods, "okay, let's call someone in to do it."

"No, I can do that," mister Miller says, "and I say that we can't trust Abby anymore. You should just stay home for the rest of the year to recover." My mouth opens in surprise. "You can't be serious!" I say.

"I am deadly serious, Abby, just like your parents," he says. All my veins are burning. I stand up, "you need to shut your mouth right now!" I shout. Alaric is on his feet within seconds and puts his hand on my shoulder.

"See?" mister Miller says, "you are on edge!" "What are you trying to prove here?" Alaric asks, "because now you are just being cruel." "Yes, just like the kids in the hall can be! What is she gonna do when they say something like this?" he asks.

"Do you want me to show you?" I threaten him. "This is exactly what I mean!" mister Miller says. "You know what? Why don't I take Abby to a doctor and ask him what he thinks?" Alaric suggests. "Don't bother, she's not ready. I'm telling you," mister Miller says.

I look over to Alaric. I still want to show mister Miller who he has in front of him, but in the look in Alaric's eyes, I can tell he doesn't want me to. Maybe for the best. I don't think I would be ever welcome at this school again if I kick mister Miller's ass. Not like doesn't deserve it.

"We will talk to a professional about this," Alaric says. He grabs my arm and takes me out of the office. "She's a lost cause and you know it!" mister Miller shouts. Alaric ignores him and walks on.

"What a dick," he finally says when we're back in the hall. "I know! Who does he think he is?" I say, still angry and still ready to teach him a lesson. But Alaric grabs my arm and makes me look at him. "Don't you dare do anything stupid!" he says. I sigh, but nod. "Jenna will kill me," he says, what makes me smile.

But when I realise what I wanted to do, I sigh. "I'm sorry I reacted that way," I tell him. Alaric shakes his head, "you had all the right to. It's good you are not more like me." I get curious, "what would you do?" Alaric smiles, "I would beat the shit out of him."

I smile wide, "please call me if you will." Alaric laughs, "trust me, I will! You could need a moment to blow off steam." I laugh with him, "especially when it means beating the shit out of him!"