Twenty-Seven

Abby

When our lips part again, we look at each other for a moment. "Man, I missed that," Damon says. I feel my cheeks glow. My heart is raising again and the butterflies in my belly go crazy.

Damon's hands are still on my cheeks. My hands moved to his arms and hold his hands in place. We both breathe heavy.

"Let's go inside," Damon says after a little while. I nod and let go of him. We walk inside and walk to the elevators. Luckily, I know where I need to be. Damon follows me quietly and doesn't ask or say anything. It feels kind of weird to have him here with me, while this is such a personal day.

When the doors of the elevator open, we walk out and walk into the waiting room. I take a seat and Damon takes a seat next to me. For a moment, we both stay quiet.

"Are you nervous?" Damon asks. I look at him and see the worry in his eyes. "Kind of," I tell him. "Do you think there is something wrong?" he asks. I think about it for a second and shake my head. "No, but you'll never know," I tell him.

Damon moves closer to me. His lips move to my ear. "I can always give you some of my blood. It will heal it," he says. In confusion I turn around to him. "Jack gave me his blood..." I tell him. Damon's eyes go big. I guess I didn't tell him that yet.

"He did? Why?" Damon asks. "In case I would die that day. He wanted me to turn," I tell him. We whisper, but I see that Damon wants to scream instead. "That bastard wanted you to turn?" He asks. He clenches his fists. I know that if Jack wasn't dead yet, Damon would kill him now.

I put my hand on his fist. "But I didn't die," I tell him. His eyes find mine and it seems like I can see how he calms down. "Still, it wasn't his decision," Damon says. I smile at him. It feels good to see how he defends me.

"Miss Gilbert?" I hear a familiar voice say. I turn around and see doctor Williams standing a meter away from me. I smile, stand up and shake his hand. "Good to see you again," he tells me. "You too," I tell him. "You brought back-up, I see?" Doctor Williams jokes, looking at Damon. "Hi, Damon Salvatore," Damon says. "Doctor Williams," he says, "it won't take long." Damon looks at me, waiting for me to confirm that he can't come with us. "Can he come with us? Whatever you have to say, you can say it in front of him," I tell doctor Williams. "Of course, come in," he says, pointing at his office.

We walk in his office and take a seat. Doctor Williams takes a seat behind his desk. On his desk are a few papers and a file. When I look closer, I see it's a file with my name on it. "Abby, let's start with the good news," he says. My heartbeat goes faster already.

"You did all the test properly. Everything we tested turned out fine," he says. "Then, what's the bad news?" I ask him, scared for his answer. "When we were looking at the results, we saw something weird..." he says.

He stays quiet for a while, seems to be looking for words. I look at Damon, who is even confused as me. Damon stands up and walks over to doctor Williams. "Can you look at me for a second?" Damon asks. Doctor Williams looks at Damon. Damon moves closer and I see his pupils grow. "You're gonna tell us exactly what is going on. You're not gonna leave anything out," Damon says.

"The hole in Abby's heart grew. But the rest of her tests were good, so we don't know how that happened," doctor Williams tells Damon. It seems like he is in sort of a trance. Damon looks over at me. I am still confused and don't say anything.

Damon turns around to doctor Williams. "How can we cure it?" Damon asks. "We don't know," doctor Williams says. "Can it get worse?" Damon asks. "It can. But we are not sure how fast that will be," doctor Williams says. "Can it damage something?" Damon asks. "Probably," doctor Williams says.

My eyes go big. My heart is racing. "Can it kill me?" I ask. My voice sounds broken. Damon looks back at doctor Williams. "After a while, yes, we think it can," he says. "What is a while?" Damon asks. "A few years maybe, we don't know," doctor William says.

I feel tears forming in my eyes. "Can we slow it down?" Damon asks. "We have medicine we think will slow it down," doctor Williams says. "Go get them, now," Damon says. Doctor Williams stands up and walks out of the room. Damon walks over to me.

"Are you okay?" he asks. "I think so..." I say. Damon squads in front of me, so he is the same hight as me. "Abby, look. It may not be as bad as we think," he says. I narrow my eyes, "what do you mean?"

"Jack's blood may have healed it already," he says. "I thought you were kidding about that," I tell him. Damon smiles and shakes his head. "Vampire blood can heal you, just like it heals us. The side effect is that it will turn you when you die with it in your system," he explains.

At that moment, a tear leaves my eye. Damon reaches out and swipes it away with his tomb. "Don't worry, okay?" he asks. I smile and nod, "thank you."

Doctor Williams comes back with the medicine in his hands. "You need to take this every day," he says. Damon stands up and takes the medicine. He puts his hand on doctor Williams' shoulder. Doctor Williams looks at Damon. "Now forget I compelled you," Damon says.

Damon turns around to me, "shall we go?" I nod and stand up. "Wait, Abby, before you go, we want to do a few more tests. These tests are different than the usual ones, but will give us a better look at the problem," doctor Williams says. I nod and follow him into an other room.

Half an hour later, Damon and I walk out of the hospital. "Thank you, for being here with me. I don't know what I would do if it was just me," I tell him. Damon smiles at me, "no problem." We walk to his car. "And besides, when he calls you for the results, he will just tell you the problem is gone," he says. "I really hope so," I tell him. Damon walks over to me. "It will," he says, completely secure.

He puts his hand in my neck and smiles at me. "I won't let anything happen to you," he promises. I feel butterflies in my belly freak out. I move closer to him and put my lips on his. Damon kisses me back and moves both his hands to my hips. I put my hands in his neck.

"Let's get you home," Damon says when his lips part from mine. "You want to get rid of me?" I ask him. Damon grins, "not ever. Where do you wanna go?" I grin as well, "let's eat something." Damon smiles and nods, "in a restaurant or my place?" "Your place," I say with a smile. Damon nods again, "let's go then."