Sixty-One

Damon

I lay in my bed. I couldn't sleep at all last night. The idea of Abby being away from me, all alone in her room, freaks me out. What if someone sneaks into the window and takes her? What if doctor what's-his-name visits her? Elena and Jeremy have no idea who he is! What if he appears at their door pretending to be someone else?

I sigh, they wouldn't be that stupid. They all know they have to keep an eye out for Abby. Not that Abby can't do that herself.

If she proved me one thing it is how strong she is. She was tortured and almost killed, yet I still see a strong and powerful woman.

But still, I want to make sure she is okay. I saw the look in her eyes the entire month. I knew something changed and I knew it would never be the same before all that. She would never be the girl she was before we got kidnapped. But I hoped we would at least stay together...

Not that I blame her. Yes, I hate the idea of being separate while she gets over her trauma, because we could do that together. I could help her and we would make new, better memories. But it's her decision. I have to accept her decision, something I am not really good at.

I grab my phone and see it's almost eight in the morning. I know Abby will go to school again today. She wanted everything to go back to normal whenever she got home. So she will do anything to get to school today.

I would offer to drive her, but if she really needs distance, that will not be the best idea. Besides, I don't even know if I will be able to not touch her.

Man, I hate this. First I was looking forward to the day we would be openly dating, so I could kiss her in public - and show every other guy that she's taken - but now everybody knows, I am not allowed to come close to her.

Lucky for me, we both have new phones, so we can still text and call each other. So that's what I will do the next few days... maybe even weeks.

I could just be with her, but I know I will only torture myself knowing I can't touch her. Besides, she will need as much space from us as she can. She didn't tell me that, but I could tell that's what she wants and needs. A space between us.

I grab my phone and search for her number. I doubt to call her, but it has been a few hours since she told me she needed a break, so a call would be a little too soon and too much. So I just text her.

Me: Hey Abby. Have a good day at school. You got this.

I doubt to remove the last part, but I want to be happy for her and motivate her. She will probably think I am crazy, since it is not something I say that often.

Sooner than I ever expected, she texts me back.

Abby: Do I have the right number? You are being a little too sweet to be Damon! Haha

A smile appears on my face. I love this girl so much!

Me: Funny, yes it is me. Now I know I don't have to try to be nice to you ever again.

Abby: Well, I don't know if being nice suits you...

Me: definitely not! So have a crappy day at school. I hope you will miss me every second.

Abby: Haha! Thanks! That sounds more like you. But yes, I will miss you.

I was actually kidding, but it feels good to read it.

Me: I miss you too.

She only sends a heart back to me. I smile and put my phone away.

We can do this. We can keep texting each other and still be happy together. She will get over her trauma and I will be there for her without messing something up.