Fifty-Five

Damon

I walk through the hall with Liz. She insisted we'd have a talk without the others, so here we are. "You need to tell me what happened in the last month," she says. "Didn't you want to hear it at your office?" I ask. She sighs, "I still do, for your official story, but now I am asking you as your friend."

"Where do you want me to start?" I ask her. "How did you came out fine while Abby is nearly dead?" She asks. I sigh, "Abby was tortured a lot during the last month. The man who kidnapped us wasn't feeding her the entire time."

"So he gave you food, but he didn't give Abby some?" She asks, "why didn't you give some to Abby." I look around and when I see we are practically alone in the hall, I stop walking and turn to Liz. "Okay, this is just between us, right?" I ask her. Liz gets curious and nods.

"The man gave me blood. He called it vampire blood. I was forced to take it. That blood kept me alive and that is why I am not as weak as Abby is," I tell her. Her eyes go big and her jaw almost hits the floor.

"Vampire blood? How... How did he get it?" She asks. I lift my shoulders, "no idea. The man wasn't much of a talker." Liz looks down. "We need to catch this man. Either he knows a vampire or he is one," she says.

She looks at me again. "Thanks for sharing this with me. I still need you to come to my office for your full story," she says. I nod, "I will."

"But don't say anything about the blood, okay? Nobody else can know," she says. I nod in agreement. Liz smiles at me and puts her hand on my shoulder. "I missed you, Damon," she says. I smile at her, "I missed you too, Liz."

Out of nowhere a loud alarm goes off. Liz and I look at each other in confusion. "What is that?" I ask her. "It sounds like something is wrong..." she says. I follow her to a doctor who is standing in the hall, staring at his phone. "Excuse me, what is going on?" Liz asks him.

He looks at us with a calm look in his eyes. "That is the sound of a patient who is dying," he says, weirdly calm. "Do you know where?" Liz asks. I want to calm her down. There is no way that that is for Abby. She was fine when we left the room.

"Room 412, I believe," the doctor says. 412? I remember walking passed all the white doors on our way to Abby. But where did I see room 412? What even was Abby's room? 415... or 416?

But then my heart stops beating. I remember walking into Abby's room. Just for a split second, I looked at the door. 412...

I start to run. I don't care who is staring at me or what people would think of me. I need to get back to my girl right now. My head is spinning. Abby isn't dying, she can't be! Not my girl!

I wish I could run at full speed, but everyone will see I am not normal... Not that I ever claimed I was. But they will know I am not human. It is too risky.

I don't understand how I can be worried about something like being exposed while I am running to my girl who is literally dying. But my head isn't thinking clear anymore.

When I finally get to her room, everyone is standing outside. Elena cries in Stefan's arms, Jeremy cries as well while he tries to fight Alaric to get back in Abby's room and Jenna stands beside them crying even harder.

"What is going on?" I nearly scream. "All of a sudden, Abby stopped breathing..." Stefan says. I can tell he tries to be strong for Elena, but he has a hard time. "We are not allowed to go inside," Jeremy says. I know he is ready to fight anyone to get back to his sister.

I stare at the door. It is closed and I can hear a lot of different voices talking. I can tell they are trying their best to safe her and get her to breathe again.