Thirty-Seven

Abby

I sit on the couch in the living room. Jeremy talks to someone on the phone. We were just watching a movie, but I paused it when he got the call. Now I just sit here, waiting for him to hang up the phone so we can watch on.

When he finally hangs up the phone, the look in his eyes isn't good. "What is going on?" I ask him. "That was Matt. I need to get to the Grill. It turnes out someone was having a party and now moved the whole party to the Grill. It's inseanly busy in there and Matt needs me," he tells me. I sigh, "okay, fine. But promise me we will continue this movie tomorrow!"

Jeremy laughs and puts on his coat. "I promise! You can handle a moment alone, right?" he asks. I smile wide, "I can. Jenna will be home in half an hour, I will be fine." Jeremy smiles, "super. See you tonight!"

Jeremy walks out the door. I turn back around to the tv and turn it off. I stand up and walk into the kitchen. I look at the time. Only five P.M. I would start making dinner, but I have no idea what Jenna wanted to eat tonight.

I look at my phone. When I see I have no messages and no missed calls, I feel sad. Is it wrong to expect calls from someone you told not to call you anymore? Yes it is...

I hoped I would be over him by now, but I am not... Why did I realise I was falling for him at the moment I hated him the most? Why didn't I just not find out about it? But most importantly, why can't I pick who I fall for and when?

The doorbell rings. I sigh and laugh at the same time. "What did you forget this time, Jer?" I laugh when I walk to the door. "Abby? It's me," I hear Damon say. I immediately stop walking. I just stand five foot away from the door, not wanting to move.

"Abby?" Damon asks. I feel my breathing quicken already. "I am busy, Damon. Please leave," I tell him. I hear him sigh, "listen, I just want to talk to you. Please open up." I try to contol my breath, but fail. "Not now, Damon. Just leave," I tell him.

"Abby, please!" He begs. "No! Just leave!" I say and walk upstairs. I go into my room and close the door behind me. I feel my heart beats like crazy. Is that because I ran up the stairs or because of him? Let's just blame the stairs.

When I turn around, I want to scream. Luckily, I stop myself. "What are you doing in my room?!" I shout. "You weren't gonna let me in," Damon says, like it's the most normal thing that someone just shows up in your room.

I walk around him. "Take a hint!" I tell him. Damon grabs my arm and turns me to face him. "Abby, just talk to me. I know why you are ignoring me and I am trying to fix it," he says. I get confused, "fix it? How do you want to fix it?" "Well, if you don't want to be friends with benefits, we don't have to be," he says.

For a moment, I am not able to move. Is he actually saying what I want him to say? Am I dreaming? This can't be real, can it? Damon, standing in front of me, telling me that we can be more?

"Well, what do you want to be then?" I ask him. Damon seems glad that I agreed to talk. "Well, we can just be friends," he says.

There it goes. There goes all my dreams. I knew it couldn't be that easy. Of course he doesn't want more. It's Damon!

I sigh and shake my head, "just leave, Damon." I try to hide my disappointed face in my hands, but Damon grabs my wrists and moves my hands away from my face. I look at him, trying to ignore the fact that my skin is burning by just a single touch.

"Listen, I get it. You are not ready for this. But that's okay. Why didn't you just tell me you didn't want any of this?" Damon asks. I shake my head and try to walk away from him, but he holds my wrists and is not planning on letting them go any time soon.