Fifty-Six

Damon

 "I'm sorry to tell you this, but you really need to go. Miss Gilbert needs to rest and that goes better when she is by herself," a nurse tells us. We are in this room for over six hours, but I am not planning on leaving. Not until I can take her with me.

"Is there no way we can spend the night?" Jeremy asks the nurse. She shakes her head. "No, it is better if you go home. You are allowed to come back tomorrow morning," she says. Everybody disagrees, but nobody is in the mood to fight her.

So, with angry faces, we say good night to Abby and walk out of the room. We all walk out of the hospital, but before we walk to the cars, I stop walking. "I think I am gonna walk home," I say. I see everybody doubts to believe me, but nobody says anything.

"Okay, be careful," Alaric says. I smile, it is kind of sweet how he cares about me. "I will," I say, "I'll go to the bathroom real quick and then I will be on my way." Everybody nods and gets in the car.

I walk back to the hospital and walk inside. But in stead of walking to the bathroom, I walk back to Abby's room. There is no way in hell someone gets between me and my girl that easily!

"Damon! Wait up!" I hear behind me. I sigh and turn around only to see Jeremy running towards me. "What are you doing here, little Gilbert? Go home!" I tell him. Jeremy shakes his head. "I know what you are doing," he says. I sigh, "congratulations! Now, go home." Jeremy shakes his head again. "I wanna stay as well," he says.

I roll my eyes. "Come on, Damon! I care a lot about her too. I won't be able to sleep anyway. Just let me stay with her," he begs. I want to tell him no and force him to go home. I even doubt if he is on Vervain, maybe I can compel him to leave. But I just sigh. "One condition," I tell him, "I don't want to hear you complain about how I am treating Abby. I am in love with her and she is in love with me, so I kiss her when I want to. I don't want to hear anything about that, okay?"

Jeremy smiles wide. I bet he didn't think I would let him stay. Hell, I don't even know why I let him stay! But I am tired and I know how much he cares about her.

"Deal!" he says with a huge smile. We both walk back to Abby's room. When we walk in, the same nurse stands beside Abby and looks up when we enter. She sighs and already looks annoyed. "I thought I told you to leave," she says. "You did," I tell her, "but now we are back."

"Look, I get that you care about her, but you really need to leave," she says. I turn around to Jeremy. "Can you close the door for me?" I ask. Jeremy nods and does what he's told. I walk closer to the nurse and put my hands on her shoulders. "What are you doing?" she asks, trying to back away.

"Just look at me," I tell her. She looks straight into my eyes. "We are allowed to stay here all night. You will make sure we will not be kicked out by anyone and you will make sure everyone does anything to help Abby," I compel her. 

She just nods and I let go of her. She walks out of the room and smiles. "Have a good night," she says. She closes the door behind her.

With a proud smile I look at Jeremy, but he looks a bit worried. I sigh, "you are not gonna complain about that too, are you?" Jeremy recovers and shakes his head, "I won't." He walks to Abby and grabs a chair.

I grab a chair as well and put it beside Abby's bed. Jeremy and I both take a seat at the opposite sides of the bed and look at Abby. "Do you think she will make it?" Jeremy asks. I sigh, "if you are planning on talking to me all night, please tell me now so I can compel someone to make you leave."

Jeremy nods and stays quiet. When he stares at Abby again with his sad eyes, I kind of feel bad. What is happening to me? I never cry, I never feel bad, why am I now?