38.

"The bastard that nearly killed our sister's still out there, with Vanya. We need to go after her," Diego says.

"Vanya is not important," Five says making me shoot him a glare.

"Hey, that's your sister. A little heartless even for you, Five."

"I'm not saying I don't care about her, but if the apocalypse happens today, she dies along with the other seven billion of us. Harold Jenkins is our first priority."

"I agree. Let's go."

"You guys count me out. I mean, you know, no offense or whatever. It's just... I kind of feel like this a whole lot of pressure for newly-sober me, so...," Klaus says.

"You're coming," I state.

"No, no, no. I mean, I think that we can all agree that my power's... I mean, it's pretty much useless. I'd just be holding you guys back," He points out.

"Klaus, get up," Five orders.

"You can't make me," He scoffs. Suddenly, Diego pulls out a knife and throws it at Klaus. It lands right between his legs, ripping the sofa. "Oh, then again, a little exercise couldn't hurt."

*later*

"It's not exactly what I was expecting," Klaus admits as we stare at Harold's body, which now has about ten knives sticking out of him.

"The understatement of the year," Five says.

"No sign of Vanya," I point out.

"Let's get out of here, before the cops come," Diego says

"In a minute," Five says, leaning down next to his body. I watch as he unveils the eye he's been carrying around. He pulls the patch off Harold's eye.

"Come on, Five, what are you...," Diego starts when Five shoves the eye back in Harold's eyesocket. 

"Ew, wow," Klaus comments. 

"Same eye color, same pupil size. Guys this is it. The eye I've been carrying around for decades, it-- It's found its rightful home." He pulls the eye out making me cringe. 

"We got the guy we needed to kill to stop the apocalypse," Diego says.

"Yay! Let's go," Klaus cheers softly.

"No, no. Wait, wait. It can't be this easy," Five sighs, standing back up. "Look, this is the note that I got from the Commission. The one that says "Protect Harold Jenkins," aka Leonard Peabody," Five says, uncrumpling the note.

"Yeah?"

"But who killed him? Who did this?"

"I have a crazy idea. Crazy, but why don't we find Vanya... and ask her what happened," Klaus suggests when Five disappears.

"If Vanya got away from his asshole, she might be headed back to the Academy," Diego points out.

*at the academy*

"No sign of Vanya," Five sighs.

"She's not in any of the rooms," Diego says, as we meet back up.

"She's not downstairs, either," Klaus sighs.

"Or outside," I add.

"Well, I'm out," Deigo says.

"Wait."

"Where are you going," Both Klaus and Five question at the same time. 

"Vanya's still out there, and so are Hazel and Cha-Cha," I remind him.

"I know. I'm gonna get my things and then I'm outta here. I got some unfinished business with those fools," He states, before walking off.

"Hey, did Dad say anything about the apocalypse when you spoke to him," I ask Klaus.

"Yeah, any clues as to how it happened," Five adds.

"No. No clues. Truly terrific shave. But no clues," He answers, as we stare at him strangely.

"Geez," Five mutters, walking towards the stairs. 

"You know, come to think of it, he did mention something about my potential, and how I've barely even scratched the surface of my--"

"How did he know about the apocalypse," Five thinks out loud.

"I don't know, but listen. This whole jumping through time thing of yours, how did... How did you know how to do that?"

"I didn't. You'd realize that if you were actually sober."

"Hey, I am sober," Klaus defends. "I've been sober for two-- almost two days now."

"Yeah, two days," Five mutters.

"It feels like 45 years."

"Who are you kidding, Klaus? I've seen you fidgeting all day."

"Well, I guess we're both fighting our addictions, then," Klaus shrugs.

"I'm not an addict," Five states.

"Yeah, you are. You're addicted to a drug called the apocalypse."

"You're wrong."

"First sign. Denial," Klaus states, turning his back to walk away when Five appears in front of him. 

"You and I, we're not the same," Five says, aggressively.

"I've seen that look in the eye of someone who doesn't know who they are without their high anymore. Trust me. You gotta just let it go." Suddenly, Five throws the glass eye, and it shatters against the wall. "Figuratively, but yeah, that works, too," He says, as Five walks off.

I sigh, rolling my eyes. 

We're all gonna die.