Death

Everything seemed to happen in slow motion. A gun shot echoed throughout the air and I knew it was Robbins. I had called her up and told her where to be at when I headed for the island. In my defense, I wasn’t sure if she would be there in time, since we hadn’t talked since the text I sent her to meet at the island and come in from the side, so she couldn’t be seen from the house. I had called her the day before about my suspicions and had her fly out here just in case I needed her. When I saw Dole heading towards the island, I knew I needed her help.

            As soon as the man behind Kayden slumped to the ground with a bullet hole in his forehead, Kayden’s gun aimed towards me. Without hesitation, I fired back, hitting him in the leg. I had did that on purpose so he wouldn’t die instantly, I wanted him to suffer. When I realized I hadn’t been shot like I thought I had been, I knew it was Amanda who had been shot, not me. Her screams echoed the island, and I turned my head to see her fall to the ground, clenching her stomach.

            Kelly quickly scrambled for Kayden’s gun as he cursed, holding his leg, trying to stop the bleeding. Kelly aimed the gun at him, looking as powerful as ever. This is why he loved her, even in the worst of situations, she was brave. Knowing Kayden was taken care of for now, I focused my attention back on Amanda, who was lying in the sand, moaning with red blood oozing from her abdomen. I quickly sank to my knees, holding pressure on her stomach.

            “Well, it was finally nice to see you again.” She joked.

            “What all happened to you?” I asked, seeing the pain in her eyes made me tear up.

            “Let’s not talk about that right now. All I want to tell you is that forget whatever happened while I was gone. You still have a chance to live a life. I’m aware of what happened with Kelly, but you are a good guy, I know that for a fact.” She moaned, biting down on her lip from the pain. I could tell talking weakened her, but she had always loved to talk and I always listened.

            “Thinking about you was the only thing that kept me through my torturous years; I’m going to die knowing that I got to hear your voice one last time.” She smiled.

            I could feel my heart breaking into pieces at her words. I wasn’t exactly sure what all happened to her but if it had anything to do with Kayden, I’m sure it was terrible. Now the feeling I had wasn’t like when I thought Kelly died. This was a totally different feeling. I’d had moved on from Amanda, excepting that she was dead for quite some time now. I was, well still am in love with Kelly, and seeing her “die” shattered my very existence. With Amanda, yes I loved her, but it wasn’t the same love anymore that I had for Kelly.

            “I’m so sorry this happened to you. He will pay for what he did to you. I love you, Amanda.” I spoke, choosing my words carefully.

            She nodded her head in response, there was so much I wanted to tell her but there wasn’t enough time. I knew it was her time to go. Every part of my body was screaming at my mind to try and save her but it was useless. The once bright red blood turned black, letting me know that the wound was worse than expected. I shifted Amanda’s head, so that she was resting comfortably on my lap. I ran my thumb down her cheek, trying to calm her down. Her breaths were shallow, her facing paling, and her hands were shaking.

            I heard someone run over to us and I didn’t have to look to know it was Kelly.     

            “Kelly, I need you to tell him everything I told you.” Amanda spoke softly, and that’s when I looked up at Kelly, seeing tears in her eyes as she nodded in response.