Moving On

Kelly’s Point of View

            It was five in the morning when an annoying alarm woke me up from the most wonderful sleep. I was too exhausted to have any nightmares and since in the past week or so with Kayden I hadn’t gotten much sleep. Last nights memories of talking with Kyle flooded my memory. It was heartbreaking to see how distraught he was. After telling him about Amanda and Dole, it broke my heart as well. Death was a common thing in my life, yet I couldn’t get used to the idea. Every time it happened, a new piece of me broke inside, ripping out another piece of my heart.

            I climbed out of bed, staring outside where the sun still hadn’t rose yet. Robbins had left me a note saying she was downstairs getting check out ready and getting something to eat. I went into the bathroom, taking a shower and getting dressed in sweats and a shirt, nothing fancy for a plane ride. Instead of dying my hair, I just threw it up in a ponytail and called it a day. I didn’t feel like trying today. I walked downstairs where Robbins was sitting at a small table, eating a muffin.

            “Are you hungry?” She asked.

            “No, I’m fine.” I said.

            I wasn’t really hungry, even though the last time I’d at was at five o’clock yesterday evening before Kyle came over. I was used to getting little food so I wasn’t hungry, where most people would be. She nodded hesitantly, knowing that I should probably eat, but didn’t stress it. We walked out to the car waiting for us that Robbins had rented. Once she started to drive, I finally broke our silence.

            “What did you and Kyle talk about last night?” I asked, being the curious person I am. I had tried to listen through the door, but when I didn’t hear anything, I knew they weren’t somewhere else to talk.

            “It’s nothing for you to worry about.” She replied, causing me to sigh loudly.

            “I’ll worry about it, because I need to know.” I whined, not liking when things are hidden from me.

            “He can tell you himself if you really need to know. You’ll just have a wait a week or so.” She replied.

            “So he’s coming back?” I asked, curiously.

            “Yes, he wanted to tell you some things when he returns to Florida. Now, let’s change the topic. I’d prefer not to talk about Kyle or anything in our past.” Robbins sighed.

            “Well that’s all to talk about now and days. Would you like to talk about the weather? Or how about our wonderful vacation to the Bahamas? Or what else, let me think. How about-” I was cut off by Robbins.

            “Just shut up Kelly. We’ve both had a rough couple weeks and you’re not helping at all.” Robbins said softly, not acting mad, more frustrated.

            “Oh you’ve had it bad? I’m pretty sure I’ve had it a hell lot worse than you.” I snapped, realizing what a bitch I was being, but I couldn’t help it. She doesn’t know half the things that I’ve went through with Kayden and even Kyle.

            She slammed on her break, pulling off to the side of the road. She snapped her head over to me, her eyes filled with tears as she stared at me. She started to speak but stopped herself. Seeing her like this, I knew I messed up and I instantly felt guilty for talking to her like that. After a few deep breaths, she began to speak.

            “Kelly, if you don’t think I’ve been through hell worrying about you when you were gone, you are an idiot. When you were taken, I was freaking out. I’ve tried to protect you since you parent died, but that’s a lot harder than I thought. I broke my heart when I couldn’t protect you and prevent this from happening. I didn’t know what to do, so I broke down and called Kyle out of all people. I care so much about you that I called him for help because I knew he could find you. I waited and waited for answers of your whereabouts and I didn’t sleep for days, I couldn’t. I didn’t want to eat, and I felt alone. It’s not like I could call the police and tell them. It was just Kyle and I, trying to find you and for all we knew you could have been anywhere. So before you lecture me about suffering and how bad you had it, try to consider that I felt the same way you did.” She snapped, shutting me up instantly.