𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧.

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐄𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧―𝐒𝟒 𝐄𝟏𝟓: 𝐃𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡 𝐓𝐚𝐤𝐞𝐬 𝐚 𝐇𝐨𝐥𝐢𝐝𝐚𝐲

❝︎I was so young; you should have known better than to lean on me...❞︎

𝟷𝟷𝚃𝙷 𝙹𝚄𝙽𝙴 𝟸𝟶𝟶𝟾–𝙷𝙰𝚁𝚁𝙸𝚂𝙱𝚄𝚁𝙶, 𝙿𝙴𝙽𝙽𝚂𝚈𝙻𝚅𝙰𝙽𝙸𝙰

      THERE WAS MULTIPLE REASONS WHY SAM and Lily trusted Ruby. Ruby had multiple opportunities to kill either one of them, and still, she never did, despite what she claimed Lilith wanted. She put herself in danger that was beyond imaginable for the hunters, and deep down they were both grateful they had her on their side. She temporarily filled a void for both of the hunters. They were still crippled by their loss, but Ruby was like a crutch that helped them walk. She possessed a dead girl, instead of tormenting an innocent one, and that went a long way for the hunters because their instinct was to save lives, and of course, both of them knew first-hand the pains of being possessed by a demon. On top of it, she taught them many things. She managed to get them to look passed their doubts about their psychic powers, and it allowed them to use their powers for good–to save lives. That was the cherry on top for both of them. If they were able to save innocent people, they thought it would be selfish to keep their powers dormant.

But the connection that Lily felt with Ruby was much different than the one she felt with Malakai. It was easy to say that from the moment she met him, there was a sense of attraction on her side. She didn't realize that it was mutual. The one-thousand-two-hundred-forty-year-old demon radiated power that Ruby would never would have been able to ever match up to. His age and experience gave him the power he possessed. The older the demon the more powerful. It was a concept that Sam and Lily didn't quite understand until they saw the two of them together. It was very clear Malakai was the dominant one of the two, and that was what Lily loved about him.

Yes, she dreamt of a time she would be able to feel his hands lighting a fire in her pits of her core. But she knew it was wrong. And for weeks, she attempted to keep her distance from the demon. But it was more than that. It was more than a physical attraction. Malakai pushed her to be the best hunter she could possibly be. Yes, he highly encouraged her to use her psychic powers, but eventually, Lily would find that she needed a break from demons. She would find a hunt. Perhaps only one or two a month, but she enjoyed it. She enjoyed saving lives. It was what drew her to the medical field, but it was also what inevitably drew her to hunting. But above all else, she enjoyed feeling powerful. Malakai helped her feel in ways she didn't think would be possible after her sister's death. He made sure to remind her just how important she was—she was the only one, with the exception of Sam, that could do the amazing things she could do. He told her how amazing it was that she could do all that she could, that she held that kind of power in her. And above it all, eventually, he grew to motivate her, even on her regular hunts. Their relationship grew outside of just teaming up to save lives. Lily believed he made her a better person. He encouraged her when she needed it. He pushed her when she felt drained. And he reminded her of just how wonderful she was. He reminded her how much good she was doing. He helped her accept the things about her that she could never change. And he made her love the person she was. In time, Lily grew to love him more than she ever loved another man. She didn't care that he was forbidden to her, for she believed that was only the basis of his appeal.