Chapter Thirty-Three

• Dedicated to Everyone who's read and liked this story

***I DON'T OWN NARUTO. Italics are memories from the past. Here's chapter thirty-three.***

Akemi ran forward in front of both boys attack and held out both hands to stop them just like before on the hospital roof. Except this time Akemi wasn't ready and the attacks were much larger. Both boys too absorbed in the fight didn't register her until after they already threw their blows. "Hiraishin (lightning rod)!" The jutsu was going as normal until that small crack made in her right glove shifted a little. The small movement interfered with the mechanics of the glove storing all the energy into the gloves instead of redirecting it. Akemi's eyes widened seeing what happened and before they exploded along with everything else she yelled. "No!" It was too late. Both forces compacted in Akemi's gloves and exploded sending all three down from the air spiraling to the ground. Naruto passed out from the direct powerful blow. And Akemi who took more of the damage from being in the center of the explosion fell, not trying to prevent the fall, just too tired to be able to. Sasuke still conscious grabbed both and placed them on an edge. Naruto layed, eyes closed, on his back with scratches and marks all over him, no longer in the nine tail's state. Sasuke's headband fell off his head falling to the ground. He looked at who he considered to be one of his best friends regretfully.

"I'm sorry." A whisper was said. Sasuke turned to see Akemi looking at him sadly. Her arms; where the gloves no longer were, was burned along with several bruises on her and she was bleeding around her wrists.

"You shouldn't be." Sasuke answered knowing that Akemi was blaming herself. He looked at her breathing shallowly. He could see she was almost in critical condition. "Akemi." His voice was concerned.

"I'll be fine." She was lying. She tried getting up from her position but flinched finding she had a few broken ribs near where her heart was. If she moved too much she could puncture her heart and die. She lied back down sighing lowly from her mouth. It started raining. Slowly drops of rain came faster and faster down pouring on the three solemn bodies below.

Sasuke saw the damage she had taken and worried. Before he could figure out what to do next his shoulder started hurting him. He grabbed it and groaned in pain clutching it harder in hopes that it would make the pain disappear. Akemi heard and saw his distress then called him. He lifted his head a fraction to look up. Akemi was struggling to reach him by getting up. Her arms were shaking supporting her weight. Sasuke managed to crawl over to her so she would stop trying to move. She placed her hand on his neck where his previous curse mark was before she got rid of it. Murmuring in a gentle and strange language Sasuke didn't understand, "Custodio (Protect)" A light blue light shined on top of his new curse mark before it went away. Sasuke relaxed feeling suddenly peaceful and calm.

"Thank you." She looked at him confused.

"How did you get another curse mark? I got rid of your first one." Talking hurt to do but Akemi didn't show that to Sasuke. He had enough he would need to handle from now on.

"Orochimaru's minions injected me with another mark before I left Konoha." She laughed airily.

"Yeah, that wasn't part of the plan. It seems I'm just not as good as Shika when it comes to working out strategies." At the mention of Shikamaru's name a painful look flashed in Akemi's eyes for a split second. 

Sasuke joked a little trying to lighten the mood. "It would have worked out this way or that still." He looked back over to Naruto with a lonely look. Akemi right near Naruto took his hand in hers saying the same spell she used on Sasuke.

"Custudio." A blue glow wrapped around Naruto's hand, then a almost invisible round circle was marked onto the hand. Sasuke thought he must have one too around his curse mark. She looked at the forest. "You need to get going before someone comes. I can't stop you anymore than Naruto could now that I'm like this." He looked soberly over at the battle field. "Sasuke," before she could finish Akemi started coughing violently. Her small frame shook from the force. Her hands covered her mouth, when she lifted her hands away they had blood stained on them. Sasuke's eyes widened seeing this. Akemi finished her previous sentence weakly. "Sasuke, the files and my research are hidden away at Tazuna's village. Collect them for when you're going to need them." Sasuke cupped his hands around Akemi's bloody ones. They were colder than usual.