Part 10: Early Morning

..If anyone gets that title reference, I will love you just a little bit more than I did.

Also, on the right is Avery Michaels.

-Lion.

_____________________________________________

Cassis James:

I groan sleepily when my alarm goes off, playing music. Covering my head with my pillow, I grumble something about shutting it off. Last night's events present themselves to my memory, and I shudder lightly as a tingle rolls through me.

I finally drag myself out of bed to turn off the music. Shuffling into my bathroom, I ruffle my hair, my eyes still mostly closed. I go through the motions of brushing my teeth, running on routine rather than thought.

I shower, scrubbing the remnants of yesterday from my skin. Apparently, I had slept with the masked dancer's smudge of lipstick. At some point, Hailey climbs up the trapdoor from my studio to borrow a pair of my boots. It's Friday; students can wear whatever, so she is dressed in dark skinny jeans and a thin white off-the-shoulder shirt with the Skullcandy logo across the front.

An hour or so later, Hailey and I are pulling on our seatbelts in my other car, the silver Lotus. My Camaro will be in the shop for a week or two, sadly.

"So, Einstein. How's prep club?" I tease, referring to her student government thing. She spends hours with Preston; it's a wonder they're not married.

My sister rolls her eyes, not taking the bait. "Your lab partner joined, yesterday."

I fight the slight colour rising to my face at the thought of her. Hailey, missing it, stares out the window while she tells me about plans for the year.

"So... We're having a dance. I don't have the details, yet, but I was hoping you could help with, you know, the... advertisement." She bites her lip as she looks over at me. I grin over at her and ask if she wants me to dance on tables at lunch time. Surprisingly, she actually agrees.

"You're.. you're serious? You're asking me to dance on a table for you? I didn't know you swung that way, Hales," I giggle, and she smacks my arm, glaring. "Okay, okay. I'm just kidding, sheesh... I'll do it." Her face lights up, and I smile to myself. We may not be close all the time, but we have our moments.

Plus, it's fun, dancing on tables in the cafeteria.

***

I pull into my regular parking spot, and my sister and I go our separate ways. I step out of the car and stretch, my long, loose, light grey tank top shifting over the fitted blue one underneath casually.

The school's front steps practically fly under my feet as I make my way inside. Natalia is likely in the dance studio, waiting for me. For our tutoring session, I remind myself. Can't get too excited; it's only math.

Do I want more? She's Jones trash, after all.

Pushing open the door, I find the blue-eyed brunette dancing. It's ballet again, today. I am early, so she doesn't notice my presence as I watch her, arms crossed, leaning against the door.

After a short while, I kick off my shoes quietly, stuffing my socks into the designer footwear. I set my things off to the side and adjust the waist of my black sweatpants, then carefully approach her. Her eyes are closed. Like I would do with any of my other dancers, I slip my hands around her waist from behind. Watching her in the wall-length mirror, I press the front of my body against her back, ignoring the sparks her closeness ignites as I mold her posture to that of mine. With the slightest touches, I correct the errors in her stance.