Part 24: Babysitting

Arizona:

Well, this is getting frustrating.

For the past week, Cassis and Natalia have been avoiding each other. Natalia's dance tryout even got postponed, and Cassis isn't giving me any answers. I don't know what's going on, and I don't like it. Charlie and my best friend have been distant, too, which makes this all a billion times more weird. And fishy.

I wonder if I can catch Natalia at her locker.

Most of the day passes unfruitfully, what with her running off every time she catches me coming her way. Though, finally, I catch her just before dance, having snuck up from the other end of the hallway. I swiftly turn her to face me, and place both of my hands on either side of her on the lockers, trapping her.

"You're coming out with me after school. I don't care what your plans were. They're mine, now."

The brunette gives a sigh, letting it be known she does not like being trapped. "Arizona, I have work after school. Why don't you go with Cassis to whatever it is your doing or going." She turns to close her locker, moving my arm aside.

Turning, I lean back against locker next to mine, turning the lock on mine. "Well, maybe I wanna hang out with you. Can't you come after work? We'll have a sleepover."

"I have babysitting after work. My parents are going out to dinner." Natalia says, her demeanor showing no room for budging.

Not budging, either, I counter. "Then I'll come over and we can babysit together."

Natalia looks for a way out, "I..my..Just don't bring anyone else." She finally gives in, clutching her book to her chest.

I raise an eyebrow. "Why? Who would I bring?"

"Cassis." Her eyes cast to the ground, her bottom lip getting chewed on in the process.

Itching my shin, I ask, "And why should I not bring Cassis?"

Natalia's brow furrows, "You don't know what happened?" The brunette turns away, her cheeks flushing.

"Nope," I answer, opening my locker. "Our blonde friend has been ignoring pretty much everyone, and it's kind of getting frustrating." I strip out of my shirt, trading it for my dance tank. "Will you tell me what happened, since you seem to know?"

The brunette shakes her head, saying, "It's not really my place to say. Maybe you should ask her boyfriend."

I sigh. "Yeah, maybe. Hey, what's your address? So I can get there, later." Natalia gives me her address, telling me not to get there much before 6pm. "Sure thing. Not before six. Gotcha." Pulling on my dance shorts quickly, I shove my things into my locker and shut it. "Love you, bye!" I kiss her cheek before running off to the north wing, leaving Natalia alone.

In the hall, I spot a familiar head of chocolate curls. "Charlie! Wait up!" The handsome hunk of boy turns, breaking away from the line of footballers. He glances back at his time, telling them to go ahead without him. I meet him halfway and watch the team file out of the door. It shuts loudly.

I cross my arms. "What the fuck is up with you three? You're all avoiding each other like the plague, and no one's telling me shit."

"Who is 'you three'?" Charlie raises his brow, unsure of who I am talking about.

"You, Natalia, Cassis...?" I prompt, waiting for him to clue in.

Realization dawns on him, "Oh, Jone's girl. She walked in on Cassis and I having..sex." He shrugs, acting like it is nothing to him. "She must have liked it, she sure did watch for a while, you know, longer than 'I'm sorry for walking in and leaving' type thing. She just stood there."