Chapter five

Liam's POV

I heard the sound of a bedroom door opening and closing down the hall. It sounded like it was Lena's room. What was she doing up? Was she going to find Harry? Did she need me? Did she have another nightmare?

I sat up and opened my bedroom door. There was no one in the hall.

I heard voices from Lena's room. Was Harry in there?

I was about to find out.

I walked down the hall and stood quietly outside her door.

"I know. I know. I've talked to Zayn, and he's agreed not to tell Liam-" Harry was saying.

"So I'm supposed to pretend that you didn't scare me earlier? You want me to lie to my brother? let me guess: I'm not supposed to say anything to Kathryn or Lottie either. You want me to lie to my friends too. Classy, Harry." Lena interrupted.

"If you want to tell them then fine. But you know as well as I do that Liam is gonna lose it, and I don't want you to be afraid of him again." He said.

"Of course you don't." She muttered.

"Lena, I said I was sorry. I can't make it go away. I didn't mean to frighten you, i really didn't. You've got to believe me." He said.

"I know you didn't mean to. But the thing I'm worried about is the same thing happening again." She said.

"It won't. I swear. Lena, when you ran from me to Zayn....when I saw the fear in your eyes....i felt like a monster. I don't ever want to feel that way again. I don't want to be the reason you're afraid. You already have enough to deal with." Harry said.

"How do I know I can trust you?" Lena asked. She sounded like she was about to cry.

There was a pause.

"You're just going to have to trust me, baby." Harry said.

Another pause.

"Okay." Lena whispered

"Are you okay? Do you want to go back to sleep?" he asked.

I heard Lena lay back down, and then footsteps coming to the door. I started to walk away, when I heard my sister's voice again.

"Harry?" She asked.

"Yes love?"

"Stay with me."

There was the sound of another body laying in the bed.

"I love you." Lena mumbled.

"I love you too." He whispered back.

I considered going in there and telling him to get his ass out of Lena's bed. But she'd sounded pretty distraught. And I knew he'd just sneak back in there later if he thought Lena needed him. But the thing I was really worried about was the conversation they'd just had. What the hell did Harry do? Why had Lena been scared? Why wouldn't Harry want her to tell me? And what did Zayn have to do with it? When I'd come home he'd come downstairs and said Lena was in bed. I'd checked on her, and she'd been lying in the bed. But what did Zayn know that I didn't?

I reached for her doorknob, ready to get answers. Then I paused. Maybe I should let Lena decide if she wanted to talk to me about it. I should. I couldn't be so overbearing. She'd be eighteen in two weeks. I was gonna have to get over this.

I walked away and went back to bed, dreaming of a perfect world where Lena and I grew up together as brother and sister, the kind who told each other everything.