Chapter 6: Forgotten City

Hongjoong gazed out those vast glass windows. "I was the first the Originals took under their wing." He suddenly spoke.

"My mother died during childbirth. My father constantly reminded me of how I took the love of his life away from him, how I'm such a disgrace, and how he wished I was never born. One day I overheard him planning to get rid of me without raising suspicion. So, I packed what I could in my backpack and ran away. I took refuge under a bridge in the middle of winter. Nearly freezing to death, one of the Originals found me. He took me in, gave me food, and a place to stay."

"Yeosang, who was fourteen, and Seonghwa, fifteen at the time, were brought in. They were just kids but had to watch their families be brutally murdered by mafias. They were abducted, trapped, and forced to do things they never wanted to."

"Somehow, they had managed to escape, and then an Original caught them stealing food and offered them a better life. Given their situation, it didn't take much convincing, but they were still cautious. The two had a tough time trusting people, but I took them under my wings, cared for them, and earned their trust.

"A year of intense training later, our first mission was to persuade a young master trickster to join forces with us. Word on the street was Mingi had an eye for precious things. On that night, he managed to steal a million dollars worth of precious jewels from an illegal auctioning event."

"Seonghwa, Yeosang, and I perched on nearby buildings to watch his escapades from a distance. We were already impressed that he could get through a heavily guarded, high-tech security system. But what sold us was when he purposely got captured and allowed the guards to do a full body search, nothing was found. We were astonished because we never took out eyes off him."

"When did he get rid of the jewels?" I wondered.

"I don't think he is working alone," Yeosang observed Mingi's every move.

Smiling down at my phone, "I know. We better keep moving, guys."

Seonghwa furrowed his brows. "Wait, what are you not telling us?" he questioned skeptically.

Pointing toward our target "Shh, observe and learn,"

"Another boy came out of the shadows helping Mingi take down the guards twice his size. The strength of the younger boy was unbelievable. We followed the two on their quest until they eventually walked into an abandoned shipping crate located in a deserted junkyard. Peeking into the crate, Mingi and two others were leaning against old rundown office desks that had been pushed together. On one side were monitors, and on the other side, there were all types of tools and gadgets and the jewels that were just stolen."

"Here are the documents you asked for, Yunho. How did you know where they would be?"

"Oh, my little Jongho, there is a lot you still have to learn. It's a reason why I am known as Eagle Eye. I know all. See all. Hear all."

"But what do we do about the jewels?" Jongho asked while casually tossing a twenty-four-carat diamond gold ring in the air.

Yunho took the ring from his hand and carefully placed it back on the desk. "Return them." He simply replied.

"Return them! You think I did all that to just return them to those disgusting, greedy, selfish assholes?" Mingi yelled.

Yunho sighed. "You knew from the beginning what the intention of this mission was. You stealing the jewels was just a decoy. At the same time, Jongho gathered evidence against our so-called spotless government officials participating in illegal auctioning. People of this city need to know what these people do with their tax money. Those scroungers need to be thrown under the jail."

"That's exactly my point. If those vultures will be thrown in jail anyway, why should the jewels be returned?"

Yunho rubbed his hands down his face in frustration. "Because they're marked. Come here, you see this?" He put one of the jewels under the magnifier.

"That is an encrypted code, the moment we try to sell these, the authorities will be informed, and we would be thrown into jail or worse. Even if we were to release this crucial piece of evidence to the public, it would be debunked before hitting the morning news. Those scroungers could easily say we stole those jewels and trying to deflect their delinquency by defaming them."

Stepping out of hiding with Seonghwa and Yeosang on my tail, "Maybe we can help,"

"Took you long enough to finally make your appearance." Yunho sneered, "Listen, we are good on our own. We don't need help or anything you have to offer."

"You know them?" Mingi asked while standing on guard beside Jongho.

"Something like that." He turned one of his monitors towards us. On the screen were multiple snapshots of us perched on different buildings. "They have been watching us, well, you from the moment you snuck into the auctioning."

Seonghwa looked at him, impressed. "If you knew we were watching this whole time, why didn't you do anything?"

Yunho smirked. "Because if anything was to go wrong, I would use these pictures to frame you."

Yeosang clapped his hands while letting out a hysterical laugh. "Ah, you are my type of guy, bold and direct."

Yunho crossed his arms. "I see no reason to lie. There are consequences for ambitious guys like yourselves, who stick their noses where they don't belong. But, lucky for you, nothing went wrong."

Yeosang took a snicker bar from his jacket pocket. "Impressive. You three should join forces with us."

Yunho rolled his eyes. "Not interested. Like I said before, we don't need anything you have to offer."

"Are you sure about that? You might have eagle eyes, but we have God's eyes. How else do you think we were able to track Mingi down in the first place?"

"If you are so good, why do you need us?" Mingi taunted.

"We need you three to be the foundation of our operation. Our goal is to create a safe place for people like you and us. A place where the abused become strong, the outcasted are wanted, and where hope for mankind is revived. We need you guys; please join us." I pleaded.

"I'm sure Yunho's well-developed system has just finished pulling our information. Analyze it and make your decision. We have nothing to hide." Seonghwa smiled, knowing they had just gained three new members.