Chapter 1: The Beginning

Sitting on the beach of my private island, I gazed at the peace and serenity of the ocean. I must praise my husband for gifting me this beautiful island as a honeymoon gift. We have used it as a family getaway during the holidays for the past five years. So, I guess it unintentionally became our family tradition. The beach stretched out alongside the water. The sand is the gentlest hue of gold with just the right comforting warmth.

I love this beach. I love this island.

The entire trip is filled with nothing but love and laughter. During the day, we bask in the sun and let our worries float away in the ocean. In the evening, we watch as the sun disappears, painting the sky in every shade of orange. The beautiful tropical trees and plants that whisper so sweetly into the gusting breeze are my favorite of everything upon the softly rolling dunes.

Then as the sunset, the boys would barbecue while the kids' played games and built sandcastles. We girls would sit around the bonfire reminiscing about our past. Suffering from trauma. The lies. The deceit. Victimized by people we thought would love us to the end. So how can just a thought bring long-buried emotions and stir what was settled? I guess that's why people say to leave the past in the past, to not riffle still water. But my mind couldn't help but wander back to where it all began eight years ago.

Eight Years Prior

It is finally here. The decisive moment, the steppingstone to the real world. I should be ecstatic about finally reaching the finish line and being given the gold medal of freedom, but it was bittersweet. Unlike 90% of my graduating class, I won't have family members sitting in the bleachers silently crying about my success. I won't have family members waiting for me after the ceremony with a bouquet of roses congratulating me on my accomplishment.

I lost my mother and older brother in a car accident when I was eight years old. The event was so dramatic for my little body to handle that I was left traumatized. I was also diagnosed with retrograde amnesia.

We were heading back home from the grocery store when a drunk driver in a semi-truck head-on collided with ours. I was told that the impact from the truck flipped our car over ten times, throwing me out in the process, that's how I was able to survive, but my mother and brother died on sight. I don't remember much about the incident or my life before then.

Honestly, I have my doubts about the whole situation because there was no viewing of the bodies, a funeral, or any indication that the accident ever happened. When my father told me about the incident, I didn't feel anything. I didn't feel sad or hurt or feel the need to grieve over their deaths.

At first, I thought something was wrong with me, but I did some research. In most trauma-inducing cases like mine, the patient would lose their memory but not the feeling. The feeling of missing something or longing for someone, like your heart is trying to trigger your brain to remember. I had those feelings, just not towards the two people my father claimed to be, my belated mother and brother.

From the time I was eight until now, I've had the same reoccurring dream about a girl crying in a corner with a little boy with no face comforting her. She was alone; blood was everywhere, and the boy with no face fought to protect her. Then, finally, a woman with no face but a soothing voice came to her and told her to run. A final gunshot is heard, and I wake up in a cold sweat.

Every time I looked at the family photos around the house, I felt confused. Confused that I didn't feel anything. Confused that I looked nothing like them. Confused about who they were. Confused about who I am.

My doctor said it was my brains' way of protecting my body, and when I was ready to handle the reality, all my memories would come back to me like a flood. But unfortunately, I guess even until this day, I am still not mentally prepared to remember what happened that night.