Chapter 2: Graduation Ceremony

It was finally time.

I walked up to the podium with confidence making brief eye contact with the Min Yoongi. I gave him a slight bow of the head as a sign of respect, and he gave me one back in return.

I felt so giddy inside. Being acknowledged by someone I've admired from a distance was surreal, but I wasn't the type to show those emotions in public.

I looked out into the group of graduating students and saw my girls giving me a thumbs up. "I got this," I said to myself.

I took a deep breath. "I wasn't sure whether it was appropriate to bring my purple and gold foam finger, so I must abstain."

"Go Huskies." One of the students yelled from the audience. I wiped away my fake tears. "Harry the Husky would be so proud of your school spirit." I grew more confident after hearing the light laughter coming from the audience.

"I'd firstly like to extend my gratitude to both the friends and the families of all the students celebrating this commencement. Many of us would not be here today without your support, and I am no exception. I would also like to thank the professors and administrative professionals and Min Yoongi, CEO of Min Enterprise. You all played a crucial part in making this school the prestigious institution of higher learning that it has come to be. To be the Summa Cum Laude of the University of Seoul graduating class of 2018 is an honor beyond my limited understanding.

In all seriousness, this University has provided me and so many others the opportunity to pursue higher learning in a way many of us thought impossible. However, beyond this school's pragmatic and vocational aims, there is a natural and powerful ambition for the ruthless pursuit of something the word "knowledge" does not even begin to describe.

Now that the "Thank You's" are done, let me take advantage of the remaining time to approach a topic I wish to explore. Recently, there has been much talk about how much things are changing and how necessary it is to take drastic steps to successfully manage that change. I would like to talk about where institutions like this one fit into this general feeling that the world is changing before our eyes.

There is an analogy I came across when attempting to write this speech that I feel is very poignant. To change is to endure trauma, for we are both the artist crafting our lives and the marble it is composed of. This change happens whether we have a plan for what we want our statue to look like or not.

One of my favorite things about this school is the number of students here who understand the concept of the words "day in, day out." The automatic and tedious process of letting your life unfold before you, merely reacting as the hammer strikes rather than seeking to take control of the places it strikes. This is where the actual value of education lies. It's not in some set of soft skills or an economic credential but in the ability to be aware that you fundamentally are steering the wheel that orients your life.

You may not have all the choices you desire, and sometimes the roads you travel might not take you where you want to go, but it is fundamentally your choice when to take the next turn. I don't mean to imply that it is easy to take ownership of your perspective on the world or that it is a tangible thing that, once acquired, will never leave you. In fact, it requires a near-continuous process to have both the serenity to accept the things you cannot change and the courage to try to fix the things you can. To pursue higher learning is to remain hungry for something transcendental. It is to have faith that you are the one holding the chisel in your life, and you fundamentally can make the statue you are carving actively your own.

This is not to say to rejoice in your own suffering but to work to become aware that your momentary struggles should not dissuade you from pursuing a meaningful life. This work doesn't end at a place like the University of Seoul but, in fact, starts here and hopefully will be able to follow you the rest of your worldly days.

The coming world may prove difficult in ways that we this evening cannot even imagine. It is likely that just as things have gotten better in the past, they could become worse in the future. Whether it be climate change, economic recession, war, or political instability. There will be challenges that face us that have many portions that are fundamentally out of our control as individuals going about our daily lives. This is where the value of higher learning begins to truly matter. Whether or not we really can solve the problems we face is affected by how we view those problems. To be enlightened is not to possess some magical set of esoteric ideas and gadgets that can solve all the world's problems. It's more than knowing how to survive the world's burdens and thrive in them.

I would like to end by congratulating all the students here today, whether I had the opportunity to help you or not. May this be the beginning of a beautiful journey towards carving yourself into the best and most beautiful piece of art you can."

"Thank you, Jung Y/N is out." I kissed my fingers, throwing up the peace sign. The audience stood up, giving me a round of applause as I made my way to my seat.

Chancellor Song picked up the mic while laughing. "Y/N, I will miss your peculiar personality walking into my office with a simple "How are you doing today? Is there anything you need me to do?" or business propositions that would allow students to figure out who they are and what they want to do with their lives? Because of you, the number of students graduating with job opportunities is high. So, let's give our Y/N, this University's true monarch, another round of applause."

I stood up and royally waved my hand. "For four years, you have been blessed with the presence that is I, your welcome."

Everyone laughed.

"Oh gosh, a character like yours is rare to come by. But, nevertheless, much like everyone sitting here in front of me, it's time for you to leave the mother's nest and fly on your own."