Chapter 5: The Test

I take it back.

I don't know exactly how long we've been walking, but we somehow walked through an abandoned train station that led us to a hidden tunnel. A hole in the wall is at the end of the tunnel, big enough for only one person to crawl through.

"Ladies first." Yeosang gestured for me to enter first.

I looked at the hole and then back at Yeosang. "Find it."

He furrowed his eyebrows. "Find what?"

"Your mind. Clearly, you have lost it if you think I will willingly crawl in there. You guys brought me here; you go first." I said, backing away but being halted by a hard chest.

Seonghwa looked down at me. "There is nothing to be afraid of."

"Oh yeah, then why don't you do the honors of going first."

Seonghwa and Yeosang glanced at each other before I knew it was being lifted. I started to kick, punch, and grab anything I could. "Ouch, got dammit Y/N stop pulling my hair. Yeosang, stop laughing and help me."

Yeosang tried to pry my hands out of Seonghwa's hair, but it was to no avail "Y/N, stop kicking me." I could hear the others laughing in the background, but that was my minor concern.

With a final push, they got me into the hole. "Why must you be so difficult?" Seonghwa asked while panting.

"But I don't-"

He glared at me. "Y/N, I swear to god!"

I succumbed to my fate. "Out of all the ways to die, death, my mysterious tunnel, is how I'm going out. Excellent job, Y/N."

I climbed out of the small space and turned around to see if the others were coming. "Hello?" but I didn't hear anything. I was alone. "What kind of sick joke was this? I regret following you guys." Still, only the sound of my breathing could be heard. I frantically looked around until I saw a message on the wall.

New gate: that through J. passed by will come I what still R. corner the round west hidden moon path that in last when road may R. wait east of the sun and Tolkien them a day at last, I shall.

"Who even writes cryptic messages anymore? Who do they think they are, the Justice League? " I asked myself while trying to decipher the message.

The more I read it, the more it changed. A few characters stood out the most, "J.R.R. Tolkien, is that a name? Why does it sound so familiar? I know I have heard that name before... Tolkien. Tolkien. Tolkien. Ahh! The English writer and poet John Ronald Reuel Tolkien."

Still round the corner there may wait

A new road or a secret gate

And though I often have passed them by,

A day will come at last when I

Shall take the hidden paths that run

West of the Moon and East of the Sun.

by J.R.R. Tolkien

He wrote this final verse in The Lord of the Rings ~ The Walking Song.

"The new road could be a metaphor for a new path or destiny. The Walking Song was a song about the roads that go on until they return at last to the familiar things they have always known. I guess those Literary Arts classes are paying off."

"And though I passed them by, a day will come at last when I Shall take the hidden paths that run West of the Moon and East of the Sun."

"In fairytales, 'East of the Sun and West to the Moon' often refers to a place or a world that is difficult to reach. Sometimes the path to your destiny is unseen; it feels untouchable and difficult to reach." I walked into the darkness, something I am remarkably familiar with.