(31) Don't Worry

"There is a party tonight since we got investors finally," I said as a conversation starter. It had been an hour since we got back and none of us had spoken a word. 

"You're going?" he asked. Seriously why can't he offer to come with me? This is a celebration and obviously my husband has to be there.

"I was thinking maybe we could go?" I asked sighing. He let out an 'oh' sound realizing that I was inviting him. 

"Or maybe you don't want to go with me after this," I added. 

"After what?" he asked. 

"First a baby, now two babies," I began. I sat down beside him on the couch not meeting his eyes. I kept talking while looking at the floor. "You were so into your life as a businessman and this must all feel like a burden."

He stared at me for five seconds straight. 

"Come here," he said and pulled me closer. He pulled me onto his lap. Oh, one place I hadn't been to in so long. He wrapped his arms around me and kissed my forehead. 

"You could never be a burden," he said softly. "I'm sorry I ran away that night but baby you have to understand that I'm working for myself and for our family. Why would any of you be a burden to me when you are all that drives me to work so hard?"

"And sweetheart," he continued. "You have to accept that hard times like these do come in all relationships. It doesn't mean we will take the exit route. It's just a phase, every situation is changing, sometimes we are relaxed, sometimes stressed but what stays constant is the fact that.."

He looked me right in the eyes and continued, "that I want to be with you no matter what."

"Even with three babies?"

"I admit it is not what we planned," he said. "But they are still ours and we will be great parents to them now that we have them."

Maybe he was right. I don't question it when things are going amazingly well like the trip we took a few months ago. So why is there a need to panic when things aren't exactly ideal. I guess it is pretty normal for one of us to get really involved and stressed with some other aspect in our lives, and the person should just be patient and supportive. 

"Also there is something I have to tell you," he said. "You remember the court case I had with my ex-partner?" 

"It was either more court dates or just settlement so both our lawyers advised us the them. I had to pay him back the money he invested."

"But you didn't do anything wrong," I exclaimed. 

"I was tired Mira, I had not been able to pay much attention to anything in my business. Half the time I had to be in Mumbai so this was the best way," he said. "The winning looked fifty-fifty anyway."

"I see," I said disheartened. 

"And it was a lot of money," he added. "I was still supposed to pay a lot of amount back for this house that I bought before our wedding and right now I am just not liquid enough. You too had put in everything you had saved into the magazine so I did not want to worry you."

"You are saying we don't have money to pay back for the house and you have been going through this burden alone?"

"I just didn't want to worry you," he said. "But this was why I was so stressed. Don't worry about the house, I have a bunch of payments due from a lot of clients so it will be taken care of. All the five-star hotels Vivaan and his team stayed at will pay enough commission to get through a lot of problems."

At least now I can understand why he had the reaction that he did. 

"Now," he said and then kissed my forehead. "I have missed you so much," he continued and then kissed me on the lips. I kissed him back with so much need that it could have almost looked desperate. Things can go as bad as they like but I can't ever stop wanting him the way he did. It is like the minute he is sitting closer to me with his skin and his scent all near, I'm complete and calm and all I need is his touch. 

The minute I was getting lost in the kissing he stopped. I looked at him with a frown. 

"You have to promise something Mira," he added. 

"What?"

"You have to stop running away from our house every time things get tough," he said. "This is not fair of you Mira."

"You told me to go?"

"You knew I was drunk."

I frowned. 

He frowned back. 

"Are we going to the bedroom or not?" I asked. 

He laughed. "Don't we have a party to go too?"

"We can be late," I chirped. I looked at him with puppy dog eyes. 

"This is why we keep making babies Mira," he added. "You have to stop looking so cute."

"You have to stop looking so hands--" He cut me off before I could complete and effectively lead me to our room. 

**