(22) Baby & Magazines

It had been a week since we were back. A week after a blissful holiday, the scene at home was far away from serene and peaceful.

A frantic Caira, a crying baby and my cook fighting with me was not what I imagined when I thought that I get to be part of a hot-shot magazine business. Caira was mad and stressed because we were supposed present our proposal to a couple of companies tomorrow and we were short of a team. We needed a social media marketing team on board and everyone was backing out for some reason or the other.

Amaira wouldn't stop crying. She was having separation anxiety which although as I read during hours of google search and after calling my best friend Rhea, was completely normal but normal wasn't solving it. I couldn't go anywhere without her and just setting her down made her burst into tears.

This was not the amazing, productive days I was planning on having.

On top of it, I had a cook who demanded a big fat raise all of a sudden and Aman had given me strict instructions to not concede.

And Aman? He had thrown himself into work as soon as he arrived. It was just like old times again. I hardly saw him anymore and he already had another business trip planned which made me mad because I really needed him to watch Amyra while I could get some work in.

Two days after we arrived, I finally told him about the magazine idea.

"It's good that you're being productive," he replied. "Are you sure you don't want to work with me? I don't want you complaining that we don't spend time together."

"And how will I enjoy spending time with you this way? Seeing you on call and meetings? Anyway, I'm not going to choose a career just because it allows me to spend time with you."

"Oh my ambitious lady," he laughed.

This was his only reaction. I think he wasn't worried. I'm pretty sure he thought it was one of my many ideas that I think of but never accomplish.

"Mira, we finally got a meeting with an amazing company!!" Caira shouted from the living room. My living room had somehow become our make-shift office. Caira lived in a one bedroom so it wasn't big enough to hold our meetings with potential staff members and while my husband was always gone so there was no one we would be disturbing.

I made my way to the living room on hearing the good news. Amyra's scream had turned into giggles all of a sudden. This was one moody kid.

"Oh my god! How did you score this one?" I asked.

"It was one of Vivaan's show investors! I did ask him for some help!"

I wasn't happy about where we got the help from but networking was an important key element in anything.

"But unfortunately," she continued. "We need to work today itself on our marketing strategies and stuff in presentation because the meeting has been fixed for tomorrow morning. So, you better get miss Opera singer out of here."

I missed the Opera jibe directed at Amyra. She really had amazing pair of lungs on her for screaming no doubt but my attention was towards the problem.

Aman's parents were visiting some relatives in their hometown and my mom was not well. My sister was in Goa vacationing with her friends.

Rhea lived like two hours away from here. Who else could I trust with my baby?

"Hello," Aman answered on the fifth ring.

"Aman, I was wondering if you're busy.."

"Yes," he answered abruptly. "Can I talk to you later?"