(8)

Milan. Prada.

Those were the first two words that popped in my head when I woke up this morning. I had almost forgotten what had happened the night before. 

I realized, I had to talk to Aman about this. I was just really scared to do that but I decided that today I will tell him about it. 

Surely, he will understand that, this is an amazing opportunity? 

I don't know. 

How can I ask him to live away from me for such a long time?

And also his young daughter? 

**

Amyra was in my arms, pulling on my stray hair while I read the newspaper.  Aman came out fresh from the shower and gave Amyra a kiss on the forehead. 

"What about me?" I asked and he came back closer and planted one on my lips. 

"I have to leave for Mumbai for one week. I had already delayed the trip and now we have bigger problems," he said. "Some financial troubles are going on with our agency over there. I also need to meet up with some investors who have been genuinely interested in investing ever since they found out about our big new account with your friend."

"My friend? Really?" I asked irritably. 

"Baby, it's okay. He is just an ex and that too when you were a kid," he smiled while getting dressed and putting on some deodorant. "It's an emergency. But I also need to be here to set up the show with Vivaan. I need someone who can hold the fort together while I am gone. This is an opportunity of a lifetime."

"You will find someone honey," I said. "Coffee's on the table." 

He smiled and went ahead to grab his breakfast. 

I still didn't know how to talk about Prada with him. After all the separation last year, we were finally together and finally there was some stability. Why would he be happy to let me go? And that too with our daughter. 

And I still didn't know if I really wanted to go. Prada wasn't kicking in production for the next two months so I still had time to decide. 

I don't have to tell Aman about the job until I decide because what if I don't want to go? Then I would be getting him upset for all the wrong reasons. 

Aman finally left for work and I was with Amyra who was crawling around on the carpet of her room. 

I decided to tidy the house, do some laundry. Although we did have someone coming to do all the cleaning, I had to do something to take my mind off Prada. 

It was almost one now and I had just put Amyra down for a nap when my phone rang. 

"Hey Aman," I said. 

"Mira, can you come down to the office please?"

"What is it?" I asked. Did someone tell him about my new job offer? Was he mad?

Well, why would he call me to the office, he could just talk about it at home.

"I ..We had an interesting idea. Just come over, I called mom. You can drop off Amyra over there."

Aman's parents lived hardly ten minutes away. But still I wasn't too thrilled about waking up a sleeping baby. It's not that easy to soothe Amyra when she cries. And she seems to have the vocal power of an Opera singer. 

"Fine," I replied. 

**

"What?" I looked over at Aman and woman beside him shocked. Both of them looked excited but I was the least thrilled of the three. The woman was Caira Waldorf. She was Vivaan's assistant and basically his right hand woman. Aman had been discussing with her how he wasn't going to be here due do some issues and that's when they came up with there dumb plan. 

"You are the only one who is currently not working and someone I can still trust with holding things together while I am gone," he explained. "I have already discussed everything with you, you know the business really well and this was actually Caira's idea. She has been looking into you and the production team is really happy to work with you."

"Yes, I can show you everything and we can start on the project in three days," she said and I just smiled. 

I looked over at Aman. "I will give you two some privacy," she said and left. 

"I loved assisting you but this is managing your big account! Aman, what if I blow it?"

"What can go wrong for two weeks Mira? Besides, there production team asked for you specifically. There is nothing I can do."

I sighed.

 Asked for me specifically? That's crazy. "Why would they do that?"

"Probably because you are were in the same field  and the next thing closest to me. I don't know, Mira. But you were always complaining about being at home all the time and now you have a chance to work for such a big company. And it's just for two weeks. Come on?"

"Fine," I said. "I accept."

He smiled. "You will love it. After I come back, we will find a way for you to stay on the project if you actually like it."

"Right," I smiled. 

It was just so odd. I know when I worked, I was really good at it but that good that an international production company wanted me? 

Caira couldn't be happier that I accepted. She went to inform her bosses right away. 

"When are you supposed to leave?"

"Tonight," he said. "Listen, sweetheart don't worry about a thing. I already told him that you will go home whenever you want since I know you will be worried about Amyra. And we can talk to mom, I'm sure she will be delighted to babysit Amyra. If anything, all you have to do is call me, right?"

"I know," I replied. 

"I trust  you, you will be great," he said and kissed me. "Now you have to stay here and I have to go home and pack."

"I know," I replied. As I sat down on the desk, it had been ten minutes  since Aman left. His secretary, buzzed in to let me know I have a call.

"I am really busy right now," I replied. "I have to catch up with three months plan in three days."

"It's Mr. Vivaan, mam."

I sighed. "Hello?" I said as soon as the call was transferred to me. 

"I am personally calling you to invite you. There is a dinner being thrown in my honor and my new business associates have to be there. Caira will let you know all the details."

"Mr. Singh, with all due respect, you need me to work and make sure all your trips have been well arranged instead of attending parties where I am sure you don't really need me."

"Are you sure you are a marketing graduate? With all the big names present there, wouldn't it be great if someone from your husband's company is present? I can't believe I have to tell you this."

And then he just disconnected. I don't understand why god has sent Satan into my life. That is exactly what Vivaan was.

Satan. The devil. 

"Nidhi?" I called Aman's secretary.

"Yes, mam?"

"Is Caira still around here?"

"No, but she left an invite for you mam."

"Right."

**