Chapter Fifteen

PLEASE READ A/N AT THE END! THERE IS A KIND OF COMPETITION THING!

I freaking love you guys :D I have 5,000+ reads now. The answer to the last riddle was RIVER (not Edward from Twilight. You know who you are! Haha) A lot of you got it right! New riddle:

Give me food, and I will live; give me water, and I will die. What am I?

 -Chapter Fifteen-

And that’s when I started hyperventilating. Six miles away? That close? How is this even possible? I can’t believe he lives six miles away.

Okay, so I met a guy who lives in California. I live in Florida. He lives six miles away from where I’ll be staying for three months.

And I thought the chances were small.

“Alex? Are you—” I couldn’t hear Jake anymore. Number one, I was in too much shock. Number two, I dropped my phone on my lap.

“Alex what are doing?” Danielle asked, coming up from behind me. “Are you okay? Why are you breathing like that? What—”

“Six miles away. . .” I whispered. It was as silent as a thought, though.

“What are you saying? I can’t hear you, A. Speak up, or I’ll smack you.”

“Jake lives six miles away,” I drawled.

Danielle stopped talking and went silent. “Six miles away? That close!? Oh my gosh, that means we can meet him! And you said the chances were so small! Alex!”

I stopped breathing completely when she said that we could meet him. I wasn’t ready to meet Jake. How could Danielle?

Of course I want to, but I’m not ready!

A humming sound came from my lap. Jake. My eyes went wide as I picked up the phone quickly. Damn it, he heard all of that, didn’t he?

I put the phone up to my ear, and talked into the speaker. “By any chance, did you happen to hear any of that?”

“What, you mean Danielle squealing like some crazy fan girl, and that abnormally loud breathing?” he asked. “Yep! I heard everything from ‘six miles’ to ‘the chances were so small.’”

I inwardly groaned. Next time, I’ll hang up or something. I laughed nervously, “Okay, then. . . Er. . . So you live six miles away?”

My palms began to sweat. Ugh, I’m getting nervous. Let’s try to not breathe abnormally this time, Alex. Keep it calm and collected. . .

“Yeah, I do.” Jake hesitated, probably trying to choose his words carefully. “Alex?” he asked.