Chapter Twenty-Two

-Chapter Twenty Two-

“I cannot believe you did that!” I said for the millionth time today, sighing in exasperation.

“Did what?” Danielle asked innocently as she began putting on a coat of clear nail polish.

“Oh, you know what I mean. I actually wanted to kiss him!”

“Sorry, Alex. London and I couldn’t resist. It was just so. . . Tempting.”

I narrowed my eyes at her. “This close!” I made my fingers so they were only about an inch apart. “We were this close away from kissing!”

Dan wriggled her brows suggestively. “So you did want to kiss him.”

“I just said that, stupid. But then you and London had to come marching in, and you just had to spray us because it was so ‘tempting’,” I stated, putting airquotes around the word. If only they had interrupted just a few seconds later. Why couldn’t they have just done that?

“Well, yeah, that just about summarizes it!” She gave me a toothy grin. I wanted to slap it off of her face right now. But, of course I’d never do that. . . Maybe.

I banged my head back on the headboard of my bed. I can’t stop thinking about it! Just how close we were to kissing shocks me! And the fact that I wanted to kiss him makes me feel like I’m crazy!

Would you want to kiss someone that you had just officially met two weeks ago? I don’t think so! My point exactly. I am crazy! Sure, we’ve known each other for a few months now, but still! You see my point, don’t you?

I slouched back in my bed, curling up under the covers. Just knowing that I like him kills me. I'm sure he doesn’t feel the same way about me, especially if there are probably tons of girls that have their eyes on him. I wouldn’t even compare to Lily. Have you seen the girl? She’s beautiful! And if that’s his best friend, than just imagine what his past girlfriends look like.

I closed my eyes. It was twelve AM now. All I could think about throughout the day was our almost kiss. I felt like I could still smell his minty breath. Who doesn’t love spearmint? So, I fell asleep, the thought of Jake lingering in my mind.

* * *

“Oh, wow. Look who’s getting all purty,” Vicky mused.

“I’m always pretty, duh,” I joked.

“And don’t you ever forget it.” She smiled at me. “Why are you all dolled up anyway?”

“Because I can be. This is a free country.”

“Jake’s coming over!” Danielle yelled from across my room. I scowled at her through the mirror I was looking in. She was lying on my bed, smirking at me.

“Ooohhh!” Vicky beamed. “Does Alex have a little crush? Aw, that’s so adorable!” She took my face in her hands and began mooshing it around.