Chapter Thirty Five

Sorry for the wait. I had exams and a project due right after my exams. And, I had a bunch of homework to catch up on because I was sick. This chapter is probably also really bad, and you have all rights to throw potatoes at me when you're done reading it. cx 

-Chapter Thirty Five-

Later on, we decided to go swimming out back. Well, everyone else decided to go swimming. I, on the other hand, opted to give the sun a chance. I was sprawled across a pool chair, giving an occasional sip to my strawberry smoothie. I was trying my best to get a tan. Why would I come to California without even trying? Honestly, it wasn’t that bad. It actually felt somewhat nice. Gotta try something new once in a while, eh?

I watched as the others splashed around in the pool. Danielle and Mason were goofing around; she was trying to pull him down, but she ended up being the one submerged in the end. Jake, London, Jacob, and Lily were racing across the water, each of them trying to beat their opponents.

“How come I have never seen you swim whenever you’re at a pool with me?” Sophie asked from the adjacent chair lying beside me.

I peeled my eyes from the others and turned to face her. “I don’t know… I’d just rather watch, I guess,” I told her.

“You’re not going to get anywhere in life just watching. Join the fun!”

“I don’t wanna…” I moaned, letting the sun sooth my body with its radiating heat.

“Well, you do know that’ll have to change one day, right?” she asked, smirking at me.

“Sadly, yes I do know. But that day is not going to be coming anytime soon,” I declared. I pulled my sunglasses down from the top of my head so they were covering my eyes.

“Actually, it’s going to happen today.” She stood up and towered over me. Her body was casting a shadow across the middle of my stomach. I didn’t like that. She’s blocking my sun! “You are going swimming today whether you like it or not.”

“No, I am not!”

“Yes, yes  you are.”

“Nope,” I told her with the most serious tone of voice I could muster. I crossed my arms over my chest. “There is nothing you can say or do to make me get in that pool today. Uh-uh. It’s not happening. I am trying to tan for the first time in my life, and I would like to actually accomplish that.”

The next thing I knew, Sophie was dragging my chair to the edge of the pool. “So here’s the deal, you can either be forced in, or you can jump in.” She began tipping the back of the chair up. “Five, four, three―”

On three, I realized that she was serious. “Fine, alright!” I still had my smoothie sitting on my chair, and I didn’t exactly want all of its contents to be spilled out into the pool. Especially when it’s so good! Plus, I wanted her to stop ruining my tanning session.