Chapter Forty Six

-Chapter Forty Six-

~Jake’s POV~

          About a week ago, Audrey woke up. I wasn’t by her side when she did, like I had planned for months, but her parents contacted me soon after they got a call from Mrs. Smith, Audrey’s doctor.

          As soon as they told me the news, I rushed over to the hospital to see her. Soon after I got there Mr. and Mrs. Burns left, promising their daughter that they would be back first thing tomorrow, after they learned that Audrey would be cleared to go in a week’s time.

          Since Audrey woke up at midnight, I had to leave too after ten minutes. I also had to lie to a nurse, saying that I was Audrey’s brother and that I had to see her.

          Thankfully, the nurse let me visit and told me I only had ten minutes.

          As soon as I walked into room 234, Audrey smiled so widely when she saw me. “Jake! Come here!”

          I returned her smile, happy to see her vibrant blue eyes again, and walked over to engulf her in a hug. I was pulling away when she gave me a quick, sweet kiss.  Before anything could happen though, I pulled away.

          “Audrey…” I  sighed. “I can’t do that anymore.”

          “Do what?” she asked in a breathy, dazed voice. She must have still been coming to her senses or something. “Kiss me? You’re my boyfriend, of course you can.”

          I had to tell her sooner or later, right? “Okay, listen. You were out for about four and a half months. During that time, I slowly got over you since you found me with Brittney at the party—”

          “What party?” Audrey was clearly confused. “All I remember was getting mad at you for something… I don’t remember a party. But we can put that all behind us, okay? I’m not mad at you anymore.”

          “That’s the thing. See, after a while, like I was saying, I was able to get over you… I even met someone else. She’s amazing. I’m really sorry that we didn’t turn out the way you wanted, but—”

          “What’s her name?” I could tell she was sad about the news, and I knew that I probably shouldn’t have told her the first night after she woke up.

          “Alex.” I smiled at the thought of her… but then remembered that I completely ruined our chances together.

          “Oh…” Audrey frowned and looked down at her hands.” Please don’t cry, I begged her silently.

          “Jake, you know I love you, but you clearly fell out of love with me—if that makes sense.” She gave me a sad smile. “But I guess things happen when you don’t pay attention, and I understand, I guess.”