Chapter Twelve

-Chapter Twelve-

Jake was on Skype as I continued packing. I just started filling the second suit case when Danielle walked into my room. Exactly when did she get to my house?

“Hey, Alex—” She stopped mid-sentence when she saw me packing up my stuff. “Why are you packing up?”

“Vacation, remember?” I reminded her. Every time I tell her that she has short term memory loss, she denies it. I have no idea why. Isn’t obvious?

“Oh yeah! When are you going?” she asked.

“Next week,” I told her.

“You’re coming next week?” Jake asked, intervening in on me and Danielle’s conversation.

“Is that Jake?” Danielle asked as she walked towards my computer. “Hi, Jake!”

“Hey, Danielle. So you’re coming next week?” he asked me. “I thought you were coming in two weeks.”

“My mother changed the date. It’s the only flight that we were able to book. It sucks.”

“And why is that?” he questioned.

“Because that means one less week without Danielle.” I sighed.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa! Slow your roll, woman!” Dani said. “I am most definitely coming with you. Even if your mom says no. I’ll even pay for myself if I have to.”

“Danielle, you can’t come. You don’t even have enough money saved up for a plane ticket,” I told her. “A job as a babysitter doesn’t provide that much money, you know.”

“I’ll just take some money from my parents, and pay them back when we get back! Simple and easy. Done and done!”

“Easier said than done,” Jake commented. “I have been there and done that. If you don’t pay them back, they’ll hold that against you forever. Trust me.”

“Yeah, Dani. You should listen to Jake.”

“So you don’t want me to come?” Danielle asked sadly, frowning deeply.

“No! I just don’t want you to spend all of your money, that’s all. You can come, I guess. If you really want to.”

“Okay then! It’s settled, I’m coming!” Danielle was jumping up in down in excitement. She’s been to California before, no need to be that excited. Abruptly, she stopped, and settled down. “Jake!”

“Yeah?” he asked.

“Are we going to see you in California!? Oh my gosh, that would be so awesome!” she chirped. “Please say yes!” Danielle crossed her fingers as she smiled widely.