Chapter Thirty Seven

-Chapter Thirty Seven­-

“Aw, look, they’re so cute together!” I overheard a girl coo as we passed her.

I laughed, hugging Jake closer to me. “Ya hear that? We are so cute together!”

He laughed a deep, rich laugh. “Yes we are, because we fit so perfectly together.”

In my mind, I thought of how that fact was completely true. We were a great couple―well, to me we were, and because of Jake’s statement, maybe we are to him too? I’m not sure if he was just saying it to play around, or if he really meant it. I looked up to meet his big, green eyes, and then I saw it. His eyes looked different than the usual, playful look that I grew used to. He returned my smile with a soft one, his eyes going back to their normal state.

I gave him an odd look and looked away, not questioning what just happened aloud. We walked down the pathway for another few minutes, just enjoying the scenery, before I asked him randomly, “What do you see in me?”

                Jake waited a moment, before looking at me and asking dumbly, “What do you mean by that?”

 “I mean what do you see in me?” I laughed. “What is so great about me that made you want to date me? Honestly, there’s nothing special about me.” A guy like him, dating a girl like me. What is so great about me?

“Hm. What do I see in you?” he repeated the question, thinking about it. “Okay, first, you’re one of the most gorgeous girls I have ever laid my eyes on. You’re stunning, Alex, and I don’t know how you cannot see it. Second, I love being around you; I just feel so happy when I wake up, knowing that I’ll be able to see your face again. And ugh, your laugh. Your laugh is like music to my ears, and I would be able to listen to it for forever and a day. Third, I love how you smile all the time, and how I know how to make you blush.” I blushed at the last part. “See, like that,” Jake told me, pinching my cheek with his free hand. “The list just goes on and on, but must I continue?”

I smiled softly, knowing that he genuinely meant all of what he said. I didn’t really know what to say to that, so all I did was loosely wrap my arms around his neck, stand on my tiptoes, and capture his lips in a passionate kiss. My heart melted, and my legs jellified. We parted, but I kept my arms around his neck, and he kept his arms on my waist.

Jake’s grip tightened around my waist, and he pulled me closer to him. His breath fanned my lips when in a hushed tone he whispered, “And, I absolutely love your kisses.”

* * *

“Okay, so that boy over there,” Jake paused, pointing at a little boy who was sitting alone on a bench, “he was walking along with his dog, and he had ice cream in his hand. Then, he accidentally let go of his dog’s leash, and the dog ran away, chasing after some car. The boy wasn’t fast enough to catch his dog, and as he was running, he accidentally dropped his ice cream. That’s why he is sitting alone, looking all sad.”