Chapter Fifty Five

-Chapter Fifty Five

I was done within forty minutes, which surprised both me and Jake, because on a regular basis, getting ready for me would take minimally and hour.

            “Make sure to have a bathing suit on, and an extra pair of clothes,” Jake had called out through my bedroom door twenty minutes ago when I assume he heard my shower water cut off. After drawing a smiley face in the fogged bathroom mirror that hung over the sink, I quickly dried my body off and got dressed. I chose a simple outfit that consisted of a crop top and a pair of denim shorts, my red, white, and black bikini under it.

            I expected that what we were going to be doing included the beach or something else water related. Maybe we were going surfing again? I hadn’t been since the first time he took me. Yes, the time where I had gotten jealous—over London, out of anyone else—and had taken a crash, only to be woken up with a hot, tanned Jake looming over me with a worrisome expression clouding his face.

            The memory was dismissed from my mind as I was walking out of my bedroom door, bag full of supplies in hand, flip-flops on feet, with shades atop my blond tendrils and sunscreen pre-applied, coating my entire body.

            Jake sat in the lounge with Danielle. They were watching an episode of Friends. Joey said something stupid, causing the two to chuckle.

            I was slightly puzzled when I saw Danielle’s Hollister bag sitting next to her on the sofa and her bathing suit showing through her white V-neck tee shirt.

            “Is Danielle coming, too?” I asked, smiling as I walked up to them. Not calling Jake not fun or anything, but if she were to come, I’d be more than grateful. She was like a party that took the shape of a human. She was a human party. As in a really fun person who brought fun wherever she went.

            “Oh yeah, I invited her and Mason, if that’s okay with you. It was sort of last minute,” Jake explained.

            I smiled. “Of course! Why wouldn’t it be okay with me? The more the merrier, right?” Having our two best friends tag along with us would just make the trip more exciting.

            Danielle turned to me, beaming, “This is going to be so fun!” She clapped her hands together in enthusiasm, her eyes shining.

            Now Danielle and I could make up for the time we lost. We needed it. I felt as if we hadn’t talked nearly as much as we should’ve over the summer.

            “We’re going to pick up Mason on the way,” Jake said. “His dad has his car for the next few days.”

            “Okay, that’s fine. The sooner we leave the better,” I said.

            It was the perfect day for water activities. It was a sunny ninety-two degrees out, the sun bright and shining without a cloud in the sky to block its beaming rays, and I could use some sun on my skin. The sun wasn’t as bad as I recalled. I wasn’t even sure why I disliked it so much in the first place. Sure, I lived in Miami, but I’d been an indoor person. Always on my laptop or trying to do homework at midnight after having procrastinated on my laptop. I never really did go outside too much, unless there was good shade somewhere for me to hide under.