Chapter twenty-one

Clara's pov

The wait in the principal's office the next morning was torturous.

Mom was calm, she was still disappointed but she moved on. Dad was still angry at me, and I was tempted to just say something to get him to talk to me.

The door opened and Mr. Briggs walked in.

"Sorry to keep you waiting Mr and Mrs. Jones." He apologized.

"It's fine. Is there a problem with Clara? Why did we need to be called in here?" Mom asked.

"I guess you could say there's a problem." He said.

"Clara, the school doesn't have a problem with you being pregnant. We understand the mate bond and werewolves. But the state superintendents do gave problems with it."

"So?" Mom asked.

"We unfortunately have to ask her to finish her eighth grade year from home online. We've already had an account made for her on this website." He said.

"Why should she have to leave?" Dad asked, angrily.

"The school board doesn't want this to become a 'thing'." He said, putting air quotes around the word "thing".

"But I got Liz pregnant and she didn't need to leave her school." Dad said.

"That was awhile ago, the rules weren't as strict, and you were in high school, the principal was a different person than me." Mr. Briggs said.

They both nodded.

"I'll leave you guys for a minute. Here's the information." He said, handing my mom a piece paper.

"I can stay at home with her." Mom said.

"I don't need someone to stay home with me." I stated. Dad shook his head.

"Last time we left you alone... I'm not going to say it. We can't trust you now." He said.

I held down the anger bubbling inside of me. Not here. This isn't the place.

"I'll stay with her." Dad said. "Work until your maternity leave."

"Are you sure?" She asked. He nodded.

"Let's go."

On the way home I didn't speak. I was deep in thought, thinking about the day Dad "died".

Mom had gotten a call. Looking back now I wonder if that was just Dad on the phone, or if the phone even rang and she was just pretending to be on the phone.

What about her tears? Were those real, or just a show?

When she sat Ryder and me down, and told us our brother and father were never coming back, how could she keep the lie going for so long?

In that moment I felt so betrayed. If I didn't get pregnant I'd still be thinking my dad was dead, in fact since Mom would've gotten pregnant either way I'd probably be thinking my dad is my new stepdad.

I wonder what that would be like? How would she explain my dad and stepdad have the same first name, or how my brother and new stepbrother have the same name as well? A coincidence that they're the same age as well.

Now that I think about it that plan wasn't exactly fool proof.

We got home and Dad and I got out of the car, Mom was going to work.

"Here," he said handing me the paper my principal gave him. "This has the website and the username and password set up for you. I'll be in the office if you need anything." He said once we got inside.

I went up to my room not saying anything. I was angry at him. How dare he come into our lives after ten years and act like he has authority over me.

I got on my computer and followed the directions on the paper before beginning my first class.

I didn't see the point in signing up for electives and that was optional. If I didn't sign up for one I would get free time at home.

An hour later there was a knock at my door and Dad stepped in.

"I made you something to eat. Will you come down?" He asked. I nodded following him.

I sat down at the table and he handed me a sandwich.

"How's being homeschooled so far?" He asked.

"It's okay, I guess. Why did you suggest to stay home with me?" I asked.

"Your mom has been taking care of you your whole life. I guess I'm just trying to make up for it." He said.

"You're trying to make up for ten years by staying home with me while I'm homeschooled?" I asked.

He stared at me, letting my bitter words sink in.

"Clara-"

"I'll be upstairs, working." I said, not touching the food, and leaving.

I heard him sigh as I made my way up the stairs, but I didn't care.

When I got up to my room I started working. I didn't want to be a lair like him.

A/N I know this is short but I wanted to get something up. I'm thinking of doing another time jump, but I don't know. What do y'all think? Tell me what you think of the chapter, I hope you enjoyed despite it's length. It's overwhelming the support I've been getting.