Chapter eleven

Clara's pov

I walked in, ignoring the stares and went to my first class. It must look weird, me coming out of their old Luna's car. They probably think she must hate me for getting knocked up by her son. I don't think she hates me but I doubt she looks at me as a daughter- in-law

I saw Brielle in our first class and she was sitting in the back reading a book. No one was talking to her, and I felt that was my fault. She befriended the pregnant girl, so therefore she's an outcast too.

I went and sat next to her and she put the book away, smiling at me.

"Thank gosh you're here. I had to act like I was reading so people wouldn't talk to me." She said holding the book up. I laughed.

"Yeah, your life just got better." I said laughing lightly. She smiled and put the book away. So how was the appointment?" She asked, refereeing to the doctor's appointment I had yesterday.

"Well I'm ten weeks, and it's still just two babies. Nothing new." I said. The bell rang and the teacher walked in, starting the lesson.

I found out Brielle got put in all the same classes as me, and the whole day we hung out and had fun. She was becoming a really good friend.

Ali and Jenny left me alone today, and I was glad. I knew I would have to see them tonight, since I figured they were in Jace's pack.

I didn't want to see his dad, though. I never really liked him, but now knowing he hurts his wife, it's just sick, repulsive, and inhumane.

But he's a werewolf, I reminded myself. But is that an excuse? I don't think it is, but what do I know? Well, I know I wouldn't put up with that. If Jace ever, just once, lost control I'd be out the door.

I don't want to leave, but I have to do what's best for my kids. If I stayed and let that happen, they would grow up thinking it's okay to let someone who should love them, walk all over them.

I shouldn't be thinking of this. He hasn't even shown signs of abusive behavior. I shouldn't be assuming the worse of him.

I got a text from my mom as I left the school.

'I'm taking you to their house after school.'

I responded saying okay, and sat on the curb waiting for her. Around fifteen minutes later she pulled up and I got in the passengers side.

"Hey honey, how was school?" She asked, smiling at me. I shrugged. "It was fine." I said, buckling my seat belt.

"Clara, I need to ask you about something." She said. "Why is it when I went in your room this morning I found a piece of paper labeled: 'Questions for Jace and YouTube'?"

I tensed up, and I know she noticed. "Clara, did you make a YouTube account without my permission?" She asked sternly, already knowing the answer, but asking me to test if I'll tell the truth.

"Uh yeah." I said, my voice hoarse suddenly. "Why did you?" She asked, keeping her eyes on the road, but I know they held anger and disappointment, for it was leaking out of her voice.

"I wanted to document my pregnancy." I said. "You know, show the twins when they're older what it was like to be pregnant with them." I added, looking down.

She sighed. "I'm going to let you keep it." She began. "But, I want to watch a video before you upload it, and I have the right to your password, so I can monitor what you do."

I love my mom. She's letting me keep it, and her being overprotective makes me feel loved. Jenny always complained about her parents being over protective, but I was happy my mom is. I'd rather her protect and shelter me, because she loves me, than her not care what I do and ignore me, because she never wanted me.

"Thanks mom. I love you." I said, hugging her when she stopped at a stop light. "I love you too, Clara. Just don't something like this again." She said hugging me back the best she could. It was kind of hard with the seat belts.

I remembered what Jace told me this morning about his parents and wondered if that's how my parents are.

"Mom, does dad hit you?" I asked. She nearly drove off the road. "Goodness no! Why?" She asked appalled.

"I was just wondering if mates are supposed to do that." I said, not realizing I made it sound like Jace does that to me.

"Does Jace hit you?" She yelled. I shook my head. "No, I was just, I don't know, thinking." I said. That's not a lie, I really was thinking.

We finally pulled up to their house, and I hugged my mom one last time before getting out. I before I could knock Jace answered.

"How did you know I was here?" I asked. "I could hear and smell you." He said casually. "That sounds creepy." I said laughing lightly.

I followed him inside and his mom was sitting on the couch, writing on a piece of paper that was lying on the coffee table. Sitting next to her, was Jace's dad.

I looked down immediately. He's always been intimidating, but after what Jace told me last night, he's just downright scary.

"Mom, Dad, Clara is here." Jace said, trying to get their attention. They both looked up, and Jace's mom smiled, but his dad held the same expression.

"Hi Clara." His mom said to me. I smiled. "Hi Mrs. Blackthorn, Mr. Blackthorn." I said acknowledging Jace's father's presence.

He nodded at me, before looking at Jace's mom, as if they were talking in their heads. He looked at her lovingly before kissing her forehead and walking out.

That was strange.

"Clara, Jace's father would like a word with you." She said. I nodded and followed the direction he walked off to.

I walked into their dining room, where Mr. Blackthorn was.

"You wanted to speak to me?" I asked. He nodded.

"Listen Clara," He began harshly. "I don't think you're good enough for Jace, and if you weren't pregnant, I'd have stopped this mating and forced Jace into a mating with someone of pure werewolf blood. You're a teenage girl, more human than werewolf. You're weak." He spat.

Mrs. Blackthorn walked in. "Jeff, stop scaring the poor girl!" She exclaimed in a harsh whisper.

"Marie-" He began, but stopped himself.

Mrs. Blackthorn took my hand and walked me into the living room, where Jace was.

"Thank you, Mrs. Blackthorn." I said. "No problem, and please call me Marie." She said and I smiled at her.

Soon people started showing up in the backyard for the- whatever this is. I guess ceremony.

Jace went outside to give an introduction and Marie told me to stay inside until he announced who I was.

She said that since people think I trapped the alpha away from his mate, that they'll start a riot.

I couldn't hear through the door, so Marie told me when it was okay to walk outside.

When I stood next to Jace, everyone was silent.

I looked around and saw some familiar faces from school, and some new faces.

I saw Jenny and I averted my eyes. I felt Jace's hand wrap around mine, and soon there were applauses.

I looked around some more and saw Brielle. She was smiling at me and I smiled back at her.

At least someone that likes me is in this pack.

"I want everyone to treat her with respect, and anyone who doesn't will answer to me." Jace said to the crowd in a voice that would make anyone submit.

And it was kinda hot.

I mentally rolled my eyes. I have other things to think about right now.

Jace took me offstage to introduce me to everyone. And by everyone, I mean everyone who wasn't shocked. So about twenty people.

I met Brielle's mother and Brielle came up to talk to me.

"Why didn't you tell me, you and my cousin were mates?"