Chapter eighteen

Clara's pov (one month later)

I wish Jace would go home soon. He's been camping here at our house for a month now. He won't tell me why, but when he told my parents why, they welcomed him with open arms; under their conditions of course.

It really upsets me. Not that he's here, but that he told Ryder, Josh, heck even my parents why he's here, but he can't tell me.

"Jace, please tell me why you've been living here with us. I'm sure your parent miss you." I tried reasoning.

"You really want to know why, don't you?" He asked. I nodded.

"My mom left." He said. "Left? Where did she go?" I asked.

"I don't know. She got so fed up with my dad hurting her, that she left. She told me she'd come back. She said that when my dad changed. I guess she has a lot of faith in him to think he'll change. He's worse now." He responded.

"Why couldn't you tell me this?" I asked. "I didn't want you to doubt mates. They're supposed to be forever." He said.

"We aren't your parents. Their problems, aren't ours." I said. "Do you want me to go over there?" I asked.

"There's no way I want you around him when he's like this. That's why I've been here." He said.

"Please, I really want you to go home and make amends with your dad. Step one to having your mom come home." I said.

"Fine." He gave in. "But don't say I didn't warn you.

We decided to walk to his house, because my parents were at work. We didn't have school because it was the weekend.

When we got there, the house smelled of alcohol.

His dad was laying on the couch, a bottle of vodka in his hands. He wasn't asleep, he was staring at the ceiling.

"Jace?" He asked, shooting up. "Yeah Dad, it's me." Jace said, walking over to his dad.

"Thank goodness you're home." He said. I stepped outside to let them have a family moment.

A few minutes later a car pulled up. I was shocked to see Jace's mom, Marie, get out of the car.

"Are they inside?" She asked. I nodded. She stormed in and I could hear her yelling through the door.

"What on Earth are you thinking?!" She yelled. "This isn't changing! The only reason I'm back is because pack members are worried. You're stuck in here all day and Jace moved out! I'm begging you, please change! I won't come back next time you aren't taking care of yourself or our son. No, I will come back. But I'll be back with divorce papers and getting our son. Oh, and of course I'll let you see your daughter, Alice before we go. I don't like being away from you, but I can't live like this anymore." She said.

I mentally cheered for her. Of course I wanted Jace's parents to stay together, but I was happy she was standing up for herself.

She stormed out and saw me. "I guess you heard everything." She said. I nodded. She sat down beside me.

"When I met Jeff, I never thought I'd be in the position to threaten divorce papers." She sighed. "Or take away our two kids from him."

"You did what you had to do. Jace told me about what he does to you. It's not right. He should change." I assured.

"Yeah, but I still love him. I know he cares about our kids. I don't want to take them away from him, but there's no way they'd be safe if I was gone. I mean, Jace had to move in with you." She said.

"If you don't mind me asking, why did you take Alice, and not Jace?" I asked.

"Alice is five. I didn't want Jace to have to take care of a five year old with his father like this." She said.