Chapter 42

At first I watched the girls do the routine a few times. After the first time they did it, I knew that I had it down but because i didn't want to draw attention, I watched them go through it a couple of times. "Emma," Caroline yelled to me after they had finished the third time. "Are you ready to try?"

I nodded as she turned on the music and we all started to dance. I got it perfect. Of course. Once we were done Caroline stood there with an amazed look on her face and started to slowly clap. "That was great! I knew you would fit in! Alright girls, again!"

We all started to dance yet again just to make Caroline happy. I looked in front of me to see Elena falling behind and stumbling. Her mind was somewhere else, I knew it. "Elena sweety, why don't you just observe today. 'Kay?" Caroline said to her in a sickening sweet voice that made me want to rip the smile right off her sarcastic face. 

Stop. I had to stop. My anger was getting the better of me. I quickly turned around to hide my face from the others. I took my tongue and ran it across my now sharp and pointed teeth. "Emma? Are you alright?" I heard Bonnie say from next to me.

"Yeah I'm fine. Just out of breath." I took a few calming breaths and turned around once I was fine. I gave Bonnie a assuring smile before turning back to practice.

"Keep going! Come on girls from the top!" Caroline kept shouting orders at us and I followed. But every time I turned I saw that Elena wasn't watching us. She was watching the football field. I started to pretend to cough. I waved to Caroline to let her know I needed a break and she simply nodded and continued to yell at the other girls. 

I walked away from the group and looked at the football field. What I saw made me laugh. Stefan was out on the field playing football. Watching him play brought me back to all the times I had sat on our front porch, watching Stefan and Damon throw the worn out ball back and forth. They would tackle each other and laugh. Roll in the dirt. I usually pushed away those memories for they hurt too much. But not today. I embraced them and smiled.

I heard footsteps behind me but ignored them, knowing they were Elena. "Hey are you alright?" She asked as she sat down next to me.

I nodded. "Yeah. I'm fine." I still wasn't taking my eyes off of Stefan.

Elena stood up and moved to sit in front of me. "Well you don't look fine." She chuckled and reached up to my face to wipe away a tear that I had shed.

"Oh god." I laughed and wiped away the remaining tears. "Sorry I was just," I sighed "In flashback mode."

Elena nodded and pulled me in for a hug. "It's alright. I have those moments too." I sniffled and hugged her tight. "It's so nice to have someone who knows what i'm going through that I can talk to." She whispered in my ear.

"Loosing people you love is hard." 'But seeing them and them not seeing you is worse' I thought to myself. Elena pulled back and wiped the tears that had escaped from her eyes away. We both laughed at ourselves for a bit. "You know, I really don't feel like being here right now. I don't think this cheerleading this is going to work for me." I said to her.

She nodded. "I kinda feel the same way. I used to love it. But now I'm just not feeling it." She shrugged.

"Then quit."

Elena gave me a look. "Please, Caroline would murder me."

I laughed with her. "Yeah well she's gonna murder me then 'cause I'm bailing. You in?"

She sighed and pondered it for a minute, staring back towards the football field and to the cheerleaders. After a moment, she turned back to me and smiled. "Lets go."

I laughed and helped her up as we snuck towards my car without Caroline seeing."Oh this is so bad of us!" Elena laughed as we climbed into my truck. We were giggling as I put the car in drive and drove out of the parking lot. "Where are we going?" She asked?

I shrugged. "Where do you want to go is the question."

We laughed. "Anywhere!" 

I turned on the radio loud and drove down the road to where ever it would take us leaving our troubles behind us to deal with them when we got back.